Sign in to follow this  
Kinxil

Crystal Cannon Midrange-Control portal

4 posts in this topic

Crystal cannon is not a card you see often. See, it's kinda a sluggish card. But owning 3 animated of those and with the latest expansion, I decided I'd tinker a bit around with it.

For now, in the current version I play it, I think the deck is tier 3 (2.5/3 star) (based on manasurge rating which goes from tier 1 (godlike) to tier 4 (Still meta but underwelming, kinda hugging the meme world).

It can brick fairly hard. But nevertheless, it's one of the funniest midrange I tried. The goal of the deck is quite similar with Tenko Shrine deck : survive and maximize your Cannon ping potential. Compaired to Tenko Shrine deck, it's a bit less controlish, more board based oriented (which means that losing control of the game is very hard to recover from).

The deck list (NOT quite optimized) :

c6QHkF8.png

Some important stuff :

- Paracelsus artifacts, even enhanced, will NOT trigger the cannon (the effect is based on the original cost of the artifact)

- Robomi WILL trigger Cannon effect. It's often best to play Cannon, if you can afford it, a turn before she appear. At enhanced cost, obviously the ping will work immediately. Note that Robomi also receive the rush from Acceleratum (but does not provide a PP recover)

- I recently added Biofabrication. I've yet to confirm a 2pp Mystic Artifact trigger the Cannon.

- That Which Erases trigger sources are : Ancient Apparatus, Miriam, Magisteel, Biofabrication. Noticeably, Ancient Apparatus effect happen at the end of the turn, so you can count on it for instant effect (beware of Resonance)

- Count your artifacts, Myriam is kinda precious and you'll play her, I think, 50:50 version depending of what you need most.

- The only noticeable downside of Ancient Apparatus, but not the least unfortunately, is that you can't play it turn 1 when playing first (you're under Resonance effect).

About the deck itself :

- The card which are kinda mandatory to me in this deck are : Ancient Apparatus, Miriam, Dimension Cut (due to possible weak turn 2 activity), Fervent Machine Soldier, Substitution (just too good to skip, ever), Nicholas, Cannon (you don't say ?), Deus Ex, Basileus (top tier card for any controlish deck)

- I recently added That Which Erases as well and have yet to confirm it to be any good.

- I can't decide yet if Otherworld Rift is mandatory, the card is so sluggish it didn't even save me from a Neutral Forest (played it on BnB ofc)

- I didn't mention Spinaria as mandatory, but the card is sufficiently over average for me to add it without thinking (mostly for its draw capacity and mid game board presence)

- I prefered Paracelsus over Icarus because I want to maximize chance to draw 3+ artifact and having the Taunt as an option seems really helping sometimes. But Icarus should remain a valid choice and can help That Which Erases, just don't play both you'll be too evolve hungry.

- I had an hard time deciding for the last 2pp follower and decided to pick Magisteel. Hamelin would be a odd pick and make the deck too conditional to develop properly. I don't like Rosa (sucks playing first), I avoided Knower of History (risk to add too many Prime making your deck a ****in truck). Others are Puppet based or too bad to me.

- You might notice there is a fair amount of 2 exemplary card. The deck ain't refined yet and I believe Deus Ex allow you to do so, because you often have 4-5 optional card to play to adapt, which is good.

Edited by Kinxil

I need to try Nicolas at some point, but I use Rhino over that which erases.... how are you finding it? Though unlike you, I do make sure to get Prime artifacts, since from what i’ve seen, they do in fact trigger the cannon again when their LWs activate, (or so it seemed anyway) I also don’t use deus, cause of the aforementioned Rhino. xD 

1 hour ago, Othello said:

I need to try Nicolas at some point, but I use Rhino over that which erases.... how are you finding it? Though unlike you, I do make sure to get Prime artifacts, since from what i’ve seen, they do in fact trigger the cannon again when their LWs activate, (or so it seemed anyway) I also don’t use deus, cause of the aforementioned Rhino. xD 

I can't certify that Prime trigger it on resummon, opponent never attempted to kill it whichever I won or not. But pretty sure it works because it's summon based, not play based.

10 minutes ago, Kinxil said:

I can't certify that Prime trigger it on resummon, opponent never attempted to kill it whichever I won or not. But pretty sure it works because it's summon based, not play based.

Yeah, it does. I had decided to test it out myself,  did end up with a 6pp Prime thanks to Biofabrication into t7 Rhino, first one was pitiful since I had to trade, second one was better at like 18 or 19 damage, got to love Rhino when it works,