Sign in to follow this  
gabusan

Crafting legendaries for Rotation: at what point it is no longer profitable for you?

9 posts in this topic

Rotation only allows the cards from the five last expansions. When crafting legendaries, you have to consider for how long will you be able to use said legendaries in Rotation.

What is your limit? At which point do you abandon the idea of crafting a legendary because of its useable life span?

Personally, I only craft legendaries for my Rotation decks if they are from the last expansion or, at most, the previous expansion. If I did not craft the legendary by the time it becomes the third allowed expansion, it is too late for it to be worthwhile for me. Fourth and fifth expansion are out of the question, I am not making that mistake ever again. Better save the resources for the next set of legendaries and give up on creating fancy decks.

Edited by gabusan

I rarely craft legendaries because there's usually a really low ratio of value to usability in most legendaries, and when I want to I usually can't because I don't have enough vials, but when I can craft legendaries I usually only craft legendaries that can fit into multiple decks and fit into the deck I want to play.

The only legendaries I've crafted are Alice, Venomfang Medusa, Belphegor, and Aether of the White Wing. Alice, VFang, and Belphegor all went into some variant of Soul Dominator decklists that I've played over time (with Alice also going into a couple other neutral decklists), and Aether went into a few different decks that I made since it has a lot of value in a lot of different decks.

Of course I make sure not to craft legendaries that will rotate out too quickly, but I think 3 expansions left is a good breakpoint and 2 expansions left is a gray area that depends heavily on the card.

I'm pretty lenient in this regard - I only avoid crafting a particular legendary if it is in the oldest legal set, because I'd rather keep it for more than a couple months. I was also rather apprehensive about Elephant knowing its playability would, for the most part, go up in smoke without White Wolf. Thankfully I just pulled those in the end.

At the end of the day I've never really found myself wanting for more vials outside of a very brief time during CG on account of Portalcraft's debut inflating the size and cost of the expansion.

As I usually end up having all the bronze-gold cards I need, 4/5of my vials usually end up in legendaries. As an Unlimited player I craft thr legendaries that perform well there because they will go anywhere, but if some specific legendary is a MUST in Rotation and it also works in Unlimited, I end up crafting it (unless that legendary has some good replace in a bronze-gold card). This is the case of, for example, Beacon!Jeanne or Arthur. But if I need to craft a pegendary for Rotation that is not that used in Unlimited, I rarely do so. Right now I'm doing a Mid Sword deck for the GP, but I dont want to craft Gawain becausehe isn't that good in Unlimited and he will rotate in the next expansion.

If I had to say a margin, I'd say that I wouldn't craft a legendary exclusively for Rotation if it rotates in 1-2 (or maybe 3) expansions (so I'd only craft from the latest 2).

3 hours ago, gabusan said:

Rotation only allows the cards from the five last expansions. When crafting legendaries, you have to consider for how long will you be able to use said legendaries in Rotation.

What is your limit? At which point do you abandon the idea of crafting a legendary because of its useable life span?

Personally, I only craft legendaries for my Rotation decks if they are from the last expansion or, at most, the previous expansion. If I did not craft the legendary by the time it becomes the third allowed expansion, it is too late for it to be worthwhile for me. Fourth and fifth expansion are out of the question, I am not making that mistake ever again. Better save the resources for the next set of legendaries and give up on creating fancy decks.

You can expect 4 expansion a year, so a card lifespan is 1 year and 3 months.

I believe, if you're a regular player, that a legendary is worth 6 months. So not the oldest rotation expansion if possible, and second oldest only for serious cards.

I only craft legend cards for competitive decks that solve the problem. If i have 50K vials i can afford expen 40K vials in a deck like midrange sword for example cause i know that the wins streak will let me recover what i invest in the deck pretty quick. When i craft mid range shadow was the same, i win so many games that i recover and even gain more vials than. I avoid craft theory crafting legendes. I dont craft legend vania cause Zoo blood is a experimental deck EVEN when that is one of my main classes because i know from the first moment that the card was not that auto good to push some wins by itself.

I just craft the cards that I want to play, it doesnt matter if they are from unlimited or rotation (since I play both) or if they are good or bad (because It has been a long time that I stoped caring about winninng). I personally have more fun trying to counter the tier 1 decks than playing them.

I also play unlimited so it doesnt really matter to me if something rotates out. But if I wanted to make sure I get value of my cards I would only avoid crafting from the set that will rotate out next. So avoid crafting from tempest but Wonderland is perfectly fine because you still have 6 months of game time with them.