Sign in to follow this  
Hikaru

A Proposal of new Mechanic to Add Another Layer of Strategic Possibility

5 posts in this topic

Does this suggestion thread even matters? meh anyway I just hoped they will hear me and maybe apply it for next expansion somehow.

I have this flash of inspiration when I used Noble Coun. PP refund on enhance effect during take 2 match. In that game I ended up with 1 extra pp that I can't use because I don't have any 1pp drop which means one point are wasted, and as we know any PP we don't use will keep light up even if it's on opponent turns. I believe that going to this direction of this PP refunds means that we can add another strategic dimension if we can utilize the PP not spend during opponent turns.

Therefore I propose that we create a new mechanic that let us use those extra PP to play a card during opponent turn for certain situational condition only - for now I will tentatively call this new mechanic "counter." 

I believe this idea are compatible with the newly introduced PP refund mechanic and thus will raise the worth of those "PP refund" cards so that they could see some play, because AFAIK Noble Councelor, Lilith, Reach of Archdemon are considered to be bad cards and never see any play in the ladder.

Anyway I believe that this mechanic will add new strategy depths, with this sometimes not using up all of our PP is now a valid move, it could add realistic layer of psychological warfare in form of bluff, and it might let control deck become viable for the first time while at the same time let the weaker deck compete.

Realistically the card effect should be like this

[3pp Neut | Counter-Fanfare (<- condition, can be changed to attack, clash, face, etc.) | Fanfare ability will not activate]

Thus when you spare 3pp it'll make the opponent suspicious even if you don't have the card at hand (bluff). On the other hand now every player have to manage how they spend PP as opposed to using them all brainlessly.

Now some questionable things I've consider bout this mechanic

Q : Won't it be too powerful?

A : No, I don't think so, you're still limited by 40 cards which means taking too many 'counter' card might be counterproductive(no pun intended) since they're ultimately passive card that doesn't help you win.

Q : Doesn't that effect are way too powerful? disabling fanfare of certain cards might kill some deck completely (Nep, Arthur, B&B) not to mention it's pretty cheap to play

A : It's only an example, and in practice I'm sure sparing any PP will be harder than it seems. then again I wouldn't know because it's still a theory. Not to mention it's not cheap because that 3pp are paid with leftover,, having 3pp extra leftover means you can only play 1pp at turns 4, 2pp at turns 5 and 3pp at turns 6.'

In my mind the effect are supposed to be more simple but useful, for example :

[1pp Swordcraft | Counter-Attack | Give one of your follower a ward till the end of enemy turn] 

This is a simple move that can be used to avoid face damage from Storm, or simply protect the unit you don't want to lose. Other variation like reduce damage taken to ally by 3 or even putting follower into ambush..  I will lick Cy Boots if they print a Counter-Storm effect..

Q : Won't Dragon benefit too much from this? I mean with Ramp they'll have more PP to spare early.

A : I believe that each class should take advantage of each of their own craft ability for this counter card mechanic. At this point I had this idea in mind

1. Sword : A cheap counter card that use follower on board or maybe even commander synergy. that 1pp Ward is a good example. Also enhance sword should be a thing and more card that refund PP from filling the board or Commander/Officer synergy should be implemented, for example a 3pp 1/1 Commander that restore 1pp for each officer played. 
  2. Forest : Using number of cards played as requirement instead of PP might be a good idea for forest, or maybe something in between like cost reduction based on cards played this turns. for example [Horde Rush | 5pp Forestcraft | Counter-clash | Reduce the cost of this card by X, X being the number of card played this turns. Add effect to one follower : Clash, Give follower x/-, x are equal to the number of 1/x follower]
  3. Rune : Spell boost or ER requirement is the most obvious answer,, as of the effect I'm not sure. Maybe something Magical?
  4. Heaven : another one that I'm not sure.. Heaven doesn't have obvious traits other than Amulet.. maybe a counter to reduce amulet countdown according to damage dealt to leader? dunno.
  5. Dragon : you have ramp anyway so just play expensive Neutral one that no other crafts bother to use..  seriously tho you got Ramp so I don't think you need any PP reduction right?
  6. Shadow : A cheap card that require Necromancy to be activated.. so it's dead card without Necro.. 
  7. Blood : Already got PP refund on vengeance, just keep at it.
  8. Portal : Cancer, don't give the Artifact deck any counter.. they could literally play 10 cards for 0pp..  or give them extra expensive one for mediocre effect or cheap one for low effect.

anyway that's my crude proposal. I sincerely hope that they somehow implement this (and doesn't fail spectacularly at doing it)

Edited by Hikaru

note that my ultimate aim tho is to increase the number of playable deck for more variety on ladder and better overall experience for all user. It also help us to reduce the effectiveness of Cancer auto-include like Bert and Aegis without killing them outright, thus encouraging people to experiment more. 

however I do admit that this could let to dragged out match if they aren't careful with the balance.. however since Cy are trying to 'slow-down' the game in rotation I believe that this won't be a problem.

6 hours ago, Hikaru said:

Portal : Cancer, don't give the Artifact deck any counter.. they could literally play 10 cards for 0pp..  or give them extra expensive one for mediocre effect or cheap one for low effect.

Still has <40% winrate

4 hours ago, Alexx55 said:

Still has <40% winrate

for now that is.

I'm talking that their pp refund mechanic and their draw discard ability is way too broken for this kind of mechanic if it's ever implemented. unlike other craft portal are fully of discarding ending their own turn with a lot of pp or even without using a single one, and they might be able to carry more counter card than other class because of follower refill and Deus draw.

Edited by Hikaru

Basically like instants in MtG. I've been wanting this for a while, but I don't think that strategic depth is a high priority at Cygames. I'd guess they're more focused on making the game more fun to a wider audience.