Sign in to follow this  
InfiniteOmega

Getting tired of trying to make this class work.

10 posts in this topic

After playing it for a while now, and trying as hard as i can to make it as viable on ladder as some other classes, i'm getting discouraged and just kinda tired.

Portalcraft feels a lot weaker and less consistent than every other class (both artifact and puppet variants), and for the games i win, i have to work much harder to do so than with other decks, and depend a lot more on rng.

Tried puppets, tried artifact variants with and without Safira and Magna Legacy, and ones that try to win with Radiant Artifacts.  It all just feels weak compared to everyone else.  Anyone got a list that's getting 50% winrate?

Bleh.

>50% winrate

Oh no buddy this entire craft is sitting in the low 40% winrate range. The craft is frankly terrible in every single way so trying to play it for any reason other then ****s and giggles (or you got a dreaded win X with portal daily) is just asking for disappointment. 

I could explain in detail how and why portal is so damn bad but I feel like I would be beating a dead horse to death here. 

Is Portalcraft bad? I haven't been playing due to computer issues, but from what I've seen, they seem pretty good at controlling the board through an onslaught of rush tokens.

What makes them not good, exactly?

17 minutes ago, Xulin said:

Is Portalcraft bad? I haven't been playing due to computer issues, but from what I've seen, they seem pretty good at controlling the board through an onslaught of rush tokens.

What makes them not good, exactly?

hmmm.... since you have been out awhile  I guess I will go ahead and go through the list. 

Artifacts currently have only 1 finisher and it requires a solid body count to get big. In order to fuel this body count you need to generate a massive quantity of artifacts. 

This is a major problem because that means you need to play a good amount of artifact generators and flood your deck with a bunch of tokens which ends up lowering your consistency of pulling other things. Sure you can run artifact tutors but those are vanilla without artifacts in the deck and can only remove 1 artifact at a time (usually) when all generators put in two which means your deck is still getting clogged. 

The only way to get through this issue of clogging your deck is through a massive amount of drawpower which is only possible with deus who is a turn 6 "do nothing" and the process of filling the deck with artifacts reduces your odds of drawing into her. Even when you play her you STILL have issues because she only goes off during resonance and she discards your hand before drawing meaning you can drop valuable control tools, artifacts you wish to play or even your ****ing finisher. 

The worst part? You cant even build the deck around 1-2 types of artifacts (which would boost your consistency due to the lower amount of variance) because we dont have enough artifact generators that produce a single type of artifact. So in order to fuel your big plays you have to end up running a bunch of different types of generators and add RNG to your RNG because now you dont even know which ****ing artifacts you are going to draw into. 

ONTO THE NEXT ARCHETYPE, DISCO ARTIFACTS

These things require 3 card combos (a generator, a disco-card, and an artifact) minimum, 4 if you count artifact tutors in order to get pay-offs that would be lukewarm if they just discarded anything for their costs. Worst still, discarding doesnt count as destruction so they cant even use safira :/

And finally we have puppets. 

These guys actually have a strong early game and a solid finisher but without a mid-game to get the opponent into range for noah the deck just rolls over and dies far too often. It also has no real follow up if you whiff the kill with noah which is why so many people are just running neutral crap and hoping for the best. Its the least bad overall due to higher consistency and has potential to be playable in the future but right now its just a blatantly unfinished deck. 

6 minutes ago, Chappie said:

hmmm.... since you have been out awhile  I guess I will go ahead and go through the list.

Hey, you remember me. Thanks, that makes me happy ^_^

Mmm, your covering of the issues makes a lot of sense. Wasn't this the primary concern that people prior to the introduction of the new class in the first place? That, being a new class they would not have a big enough library to support its archetypes neccessitating the player put in sub-optimal cards and leaving it as a shell-class until one or more expansions down the line?

The class does seem mechanically distinct enough to justify its own existence, but it may simply need another expansion (hopefully with double the cards relative to other classes) to get up to par, I suppose.

Yeah pretty much everyone predicted portal was going to be garbage for 1-3 sets until they get their feet on the ground however it should be noted that if cygames had focused on one of these archetypes instead of splitting it into 3 half baked ideas we might have had something decent to work with. 

Cygames spread themselves too thin in their attempts to give people wanting to test out the shiny new class some variety. 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:08 PM, Chappie said:

Yeah pretty much everyone predicted portal was going to be garbage for 1-3 sets until they get their feet on the ground however it should be noted that if cygames had focused on one of these archetypes instead of splitting it into 3 half baked ideas we might have had something decent to work with. 

Cygames spread themselves too thin in their attempts to give people wanting to test out the shiny new class some variety. 

But then it would have been just one deck or nothing, which from a pure fun factor makes the class very unoriginal.

The key cards to Portal so far are the tutors for the artifacts.  Essentially the key to making artifacts work at all is the ability to pull them out at will.   Only four of the tutor cards are viable however, and two of them cost 5.   Which means to get artifacts rolling it generally starts around turn six.  I think the weakest artifact is Ancient Artifact as it doesn't have a way of drawing or pulling any artifacts out of the deck, unlike the other three, which do one or the other.   I haven't pulled Deux Ex Machina at all at this point, so my game plan has been saffira (who is amazing).

More tutors are required at cheaper costs (a non evolve 4 drop would do the trick) in order to make this possible.  As is, this will never be an aggro strategy.   Analyzing Artifact decks with Spinarria might be a thing though in a set or two.   

Puppets are real close.  Two mid game cards would make the puppet strategy very playable right now.  They control the early game fantastically.  End game is amazing as well.   Morton isn't terrible in the deck for the mid game but he's not enough.

Puppetcraft its actually a pretty decent niche deck. It can beat pretty easily aggro decks like sword or forest, but also combo to death Aegis, and other similar decks.

I think the main problem with them is that aside from the matchups I writed before, the rest of the decks are quite hard to beat, but not imposible. If Cygames decides to give decent support to puppets in the next expansion, they can easily be a tier 1 deck, but hey we are still missing the support for snakes Blood, Megalorca, Disco dragon, etc.

this class is works well and balanced. Ive tried thier archtypes such as control puppet, hybrid one, and deus artifact. And the most successful is the deus portal one. Ive tried it few times 2 days ago.

unknown.png

this class shines in rota, and still cant find its place in unlim

Edited by The End

today aint that bad either. Even tough it seems relly on highroll aspect, tbh u just need a good decision making, dont think like no t6 deus no win cuz u still can contest the game.

image.png