Sign in to follow this  
Weizi

New players are going to have a very bad time in this game

28 posts in this topic

I recently created a new account to see if I can succeed with f2p only. To my surprise, as soon as beginner rank(not d0), the opponents are:

30% - full net deck full legendary(no idea how they got the cards having played nearly 0 games).

40% - people with slightly better cards than me(understandable since they played their account longer) but equally skilled as I am.

30% - genuinely new players.

I had no idea this is what noobs have to deal with until now. I worry that new casual players will be like: multiplayer is impossible, f*** this game I'm out.

Kinda surprising, how many games did you do ?

Since I've been in AA ranks, I never met anything below A0 in normal/ranked games, only in Arena. I'm kinda baffled you could meet so many playerd having good netdeck and low ladder rank. What are they doing for a livin ? Forever attempting primary school classes ? Must be fun.

Edited by Kinxil

12 minutes ago, Kinxil said:

Kinda surprising, how many games did you do ?

Since I've been in AA ranks, I never met anything below A0 in normal/ranked games, only in Arena. I'm kinda baffled you could meet so many playerd having good netdeck and low ladder rank. What are they doing for a livin ? Forever attempting primary school classes ? Must be fun.

Well, imagine it’s a bit of everything really, mean, only have to look at Reddit for example of people telling folks to re-roll accounts over n over till they get the majority of what they want. *shrugs* or it’s just a whole lot more people smurfing maybe, who the hell really knows. xD 

1 hour ago, Weizi said:

30% - full net deck full legendary(no idea how they got the cards having played nearly 0 games).

3 Words: Real World Money

It is possible, with enough money, you can buy a lot of Crystals, use said Crystals to buy a lot of boosters, Vial extra / unwanted cards (will get a lot of Vials), then craft all those decks.

I'm not saying they are all doing this, just what I think is most likely

1 minute ago, Othello said:

...people telling folks to re-roll accounts over n over till they get the majority of what they want.

This too

3 hours ago, Weizi said:

I recently created a new account to see if I can succeed with f2p only. To my surprise, as soon as beginner rank(not d0), the opponents are:

40% - people with slightly better cards than me(understandable since they played their account longer) but equally skilled as I am.

30% - genuinely new players.

I had no idea this is what noobs have to deal with until now. I worry that new casual players will be like: multiplayer is impossible, f*** this game I'm out.

inb4 the magical there're people afk-ing in beginner for months?

I mentioned this in the past.. . but no one believed it(or didnt want to). its true.

Edited by yami..

meanwhile I introduced two new players to the game recently and they are in love with it. 

All you need to do is have them beat the story, burn through their take 2 tickets and then surf the web for some deck ideas. Sticking to rotation to reduce the card pool they need to get helps A LOT too. 

It's not difficult at all to have at least one full blown netdeck from the day you sign up. From there you can earn more and eventually branch out. I lucked into a bunch of Tia and other Forest stuff back on Steam launch, so I ended up smashing my way through a couple of letter ranks with the old tempo list. Reached masters with Dirt the format after since that's what I was fond of from day one.

This is often going to be a problem with games where people accumulate resources over time. The one way I can see to make it work is if you have a steady stream of new players to play each other, but it's rather unrealistic.

Rerolling is the best way to be efficient in the early game. Too bad it's mind-numbingly boring.

i started playing 1 week ago and i already have 3 decks tier1, tier2 and tier 3, i dont have problems beaing noob player

47 minutes ago, SKARLET said:

i started playing 1 week ago and i already have 3 decks tier1, tier2 and tier 3, i dont have problems beaing noob player

Are you f2p or not?

5 minutes ago, Sharmista said:

Are you f2p or not?

i dont pay any money and i got midrange shadowcraft and daria runecraft in 1 week

Yes and no. I think Rotation helps because it lowers the card pool. Also, you have to expect a game like this to be competitive. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not hard to get a Tier 1 deck even as a brand new player. So long as many tier 1 decks only require one legendary, such as Daria and Mid Shadow, they're actually quite cheap given how generous Cygames is with the free packs to start (a good practice they should continue).

On the other hand, I recently got a buddy to play and this was one of his complaints. He was facing a lot of tier 1 netdecks even in the very low ranks and didn't like it. I still maintain that a huge part of this problem is the dailies system. Even in unranked people are playing meta decks because they need to win, win, win. There's no casual or for fun play environment because you can't stop winning, unless you largely give up on dailies. I've had a Dragon daily sitting in my queue for a few days now because while I could bust out Ramp Dragon and go win, I'd rather play Sword (because I'm a masochist ¬¬). 

Glad you did this @Weizi. Awhile back I was itching to do something similiar just to see exactly how it would pan out and I might force myself to try it, just to get myself back into playing. 

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the re-rolling aspect that people do in order to get a better start, but then again I’m from that old school mindset of paper Magic where you just make due with what you pull, because you can’t get refunds on crappy packs xD

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

Glad you did this @Weizi. Awhile back I was itching to do something similiar just to see exactly how it would pan out and I might force myself to try it, just to get myself back into playing. 

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the re-rolling aspect that people do in order to get a better start, but then again I’m from that old school mindset of paper Magic where you just make due with what you pull, because you can’t get refunds on crappy packs xD

Yeah, but you can trade the physical ones, not so much tiny bits of game data... lol. xD 

2 hours ago, cypherhalo said:

Yes and no. I think Rotation helps because it lowers the card pool. Also, you have to expect a game like this to be competitive. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not hard to get a Tier 1 deck even as a brand new player. So long as many tier 1 decks only require one legendary, such as Daria and Mid Shadow, they're actually quite cheap given how generous Cygames is with the free packs to start (a good practice they should continue).

On the other hand, I recently got a buddy to play and this was one of his complaints. He was facing a lot of tier 1 netdecks even in the very low ranks and didn't like it. I still maintain that a huge part of this problem is the dailies system. Even in unranked people are playing meta decks because they need to win, win, win. There's no casual or for fun play environment because you can't stop winning, unless you largely give up on dailies. I've had a Dragon daily sitting in my queue for a few days now because while I could bust out Ramp Dragon and go win, I'd rather play Sword (because I'm a masochist ¬¬). 

Well people make new account, find the first hurdle, ask online what to do, get told go to xyz site, get net deck, then they blitz through ranks then get stopped dead cause of having no collection, when you take out that newbie learner phase, the whole game becomes less enjoyable, (least for me that’s the case, with like, any kind of game tbh) 

22 minutes ago, Othello said:

Yeah, but you can trade the physical ones, not so much tiny bits of game data... lol. xD 

Well people make new account, find the first hurdle, ask online what to do, get told go to xyz site, get net deck, then they blitz through ranks then get stopped dead cause of having no collection, when you take out that newbie learner phase, the whole game becomes less enjoyable, (least for me that’s the case, with like, any kind of game tbh) 

90% of the time your pack is worth maybe 75¢ 😂

34 minutes ago, Othello said:

then they blitz through ranks then get stopped dead cause of having no collection,

This strikes me as one of the bigger issues. I'm glad I checked out reddit early and read about not climbing too fast because it influenced your unranked matchmaking too. I took my time with the game at first and built up a good collection before attempting the Master's climb and it's good I did. The fact that the game in no way warns you about this strikes me as an issue. 

I net decked midsword in end of ROB blitzed through ranks and never had an issue O.o . Crafted aegis haven in TOTG and then all the neutral decks in WD, where I reached master with neutral blood. Not sure what the issue is with the amount of free packs you get (did reroll and had double Albert + tsubaki tho)

1 hour ago, Danield1302 said:

I net decked midsword in end of ROB blitzed through ranks and never had an issue O.o . Crafted aegis haven in TOTG and then all the neutral decks in WD, where I reached master with neutral blood. Not sure what the issue is with the amount of free packs you get (did reroll and had double Albert + tsubaki tho)

Back at that point of the game, smashing through the ladder wasn’t nearly as big of an issue as it was after Tempest/Wonderland when Cygames strayed away from wide scope issues and began to hammer down on actual meta decks that were performing at top tier, and sideways throwing chaos down the line of crafts.

After Wonderland, I would imagine taking one meta deck only through ladder and have it destroyed by a nerf would really leave a player at more of a disadvantage afterwards. 

Like Weizi was mentioning, if newer players open their packs now, dust a majority of them to build one tier 1 deck, and in the next cycle that deck goes belly up, they’ll do one of two things:

- Ragequit/Spam Forums and Reddit

- Buy

Edited by Morrigan

2 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Back at that point of the game, smashing through the ladder wasn’t nearly as big of an issue as it was after Tempest/Wonderland when Cygames strayed away from wide scope issues and began to hammer down on actual meta decks that were performing at top tier, and sideways throwing chaos down the line of crafts.

After Wonderland, I would imagine taking one meta deck only through ladder and have it destroyed by a nerf would really leave a player at more of a disadvantage afterwards. 

Like Weizi was mentioning, if newer players open their packs now, dust a majority of them to build one tier 1 deck, and in the next cycle that deck goes belly up, they’ll do one of two things:

- Buy

While I'll complain a lot about Cygames I have to defend them on this point, at least recently. They nerfed Dirt Rune, Mid Shadow, and Ramp Dragon (sort of) yet all the decks are still playable. So they seem to be improving on this front. I'm using the same Ramp Dragon list as I was pre-nerf without any issue and if anything it is a bit stronger now that Baha doesn't clear Canyon. 

12 hours ago, Morrigan said:

- Buy

Idk, when cy nerfs decks till they die they usually hit the legs. Which means you can craft a different playset and play the next meta deck if you want to. That's what I did in  WD all the time. My issue with the game is just that sfl and cg were so boring (nothing really new and exciting not even the legs) that I kind of semi-quit. Seeing the same decks as in TOTG all over. Yes TOTG and WD-meta wete crap but at least we had new decktypes around. The ,,legendaries" the past expansion feel like gold cards. Save a few like elephant or maybe Arthur.

I'm a new player and am about done with the game.....way to hard to remotely build a competitive deck.   I'm not gonna drop $300 into the game to be competitive right away but the grind is also awful.    I'm currently winning about 1/10 rotation multi games and the story modes get about impossible too when you get to chapter 8-9.   And if you do win those chapters you get a whole 30 vials....30!

16 minutes ago, Solafide said:

I'm a new player and am about done with the game.....way to hard to remotely build a competitive deck.   I'm not gonna drop $300 into the game to be competitive right away but the grind is also awful.    I'm currently winning about 1/10 rotation multi games and the story modes get about impossible too when you get to chapter 8-9.   And if you do win those chapters you get a whole 30 vials....30!

To each their own. My brother really likes Duel Links but I can't get into it myself. Meanwhile I love Shadowverse but he tried it and doesn't care for it.

If you care to keep trying through, you can use prebuilts in the story mode if you fail enough times. The new set 3 prebuilts especially should help you to clear story mode no problem.

You should be able to build a decent deck too for free if you aggressively vial cards. Midrange Shadow or Dirt Rune are both good but cheap decks and you can find lists online or I could even share some with you. 

1 hour ago, cypherhalo said:

To each their own. My brother really likes Duel Links but I can't get into it myself. Meanwhile I love Shadowverse but he tried it and doesn't care for it.

If you care to keep trying through, you can use prebuilts in the story mode if you fail enough times. The new set 3 prebuilts especially should help you to clear story mode no problem.

You should be able to build a decent deck too for free if you aggressively vial cards. Midrange Shadow or Dirt Rune are both good but cheap decks and you can find lists online or I could even share some with you. 

I went ahead and liquefied a bunch of cards to build a Runecraft deck.   Could only make one Daria for now but that is about all I still need in the deck (2 more).   

For the record, I'm really liking SV, just frustrated....lol.