Kyro

Portalcraft Ruining Meta

25 posts in this topic

If this is not the place for this mods please direct me.

I feel that portalcraft is just way to strong right now. It feels like that have answers to anything. If you try to hit it with this early aggression you are immediately stopped and heavens forbid you take them to late game.

I feel completely at a lost against them. Frankly on a 19 game loosing streak against Portalcraft. 

Anyone have any suggestions? Should i just be a filthy player and join the ranks and abuse this new found power? Also a 3/1 with rush is insane for 1 mana. 

Edited by Kyro

The biggest issue I have with it is Deus Ex plus that amulet. No class has any business /gaining/ play points by playing things. Thought I had a guy in check. He banished my White Wolf and then sent analyzing artifacts in to deal with everything else on board, drew a bunch of cards as a result and was back up to full play points. Used Safira after that and put me in the red so I couldn't work towards lethal again if I wanted to survive another turn. 

The effect of Deus Ex should be last words and it shouldn't stack with that amulet. Runecraft was largely hated because of powerful 0 cost stuff, never mind things that /recover/ play points, draw you cards, and manage the board all at the same time. Admittedly, yeah, artifact decks aren't top tier or anything and for the most part I don't have too much trouble with them (puppets are probably stronger with Noah). But there's such a thing as badly designed. It doesn't have to be overpowered to be broken. 

Strong? a deck that depend of drawing two cards for wining (for do something more than stall the game) is not brutal at all. Portalcraft has super good plays when you hit Deux but until that is just a deck that puts a lot of cards that you cant draw fast enougth to actually win the game so is a weakness more than a adventage until you hit you key cards. Also hit your cards is more difficult when you add like 15 extra cards into your deck: this is the main reason for the PP cost of the artifacts and strong effects. The puppet version is pretty epic and have a solid storm damage turn 9 but need more support right now.

I will wait until next expansion for evaluate Portal Craft for real. That said, yeah Deux is a powerhouse of legendary. She really make a "incomplete" deck work pretty well all by herself.

@Karahi and @Kyro

Try and actually make the deck. It's actually very hard to be consistent with the deck. The other thing to consider is that if you're behind in terms of board control and you don't want to activate resonance, then Deus Ex Machina can't be played on turn 6.

If anything, I agree that the deck is too reliant on the acceleraton to defend itself because I can gurantee you that it's not possible to always have ancient artifacts since it's the only artifact that can't draw and the way you generate them are usually random. 

Calling for a nerf this early though? That's asking for trouble for this class be unplayable

Edited by A Large Ding-Dong

God, please try playing the class.  Calling it filthy is absolutely ignorant, have you even looked at the cards and how they work?  This is like complaining about discard dragon or something cause you got steamrolled once in a blue moon.  It is incredibly draw dependent, you can't tutor your win conditions, etc etc.  Your power evo card is resonance dependent, your good ward is resonance dependent, etc etc. 

I leave and come back, and the playerbase has somehow gotten even less intelligent.  The meta as it is now is nothing at all like what it will be in a week.  Already today there is a lot less portalcraft and a lot more shadow and sword.  

way too early to be saying portal is OP or anything. Its actually far harder to play then you would expect as both artifacts and puppets need a ton of set up to actually finish the game (they dont ever burn out at least but card advantage only means you HAVE plays but if none of those plays win you the game it eventually doesnt matter) 

Meanwhile, midshadow and Burn rune are TEARING the meta up consistently so far. Dragon is also looking really strong as well due to the numerous "reprints" that filled up the holes rotation left behind in the ramp dragon deck. 

In unlimited portal is looking even worse though they can pull off a pretty sick ptp deck. 

4 hours ago, A Large Ding-Dong said:

@Karahi and @Kyro

Try and actually make the deck. It's actually very hard to be consistent with the deck. The other thing to consider is that if you're behind in terms of board control and you don't want to activate resonance, then Deus Ex Machina can't be played on turn 6.

If anything, I agree that the deck is too reliant on the acceleraton to defend itself because I can gurantee you that it's not possible to always have ancient artifacts since it's the only artifact that can't draw and the way you generate them are usually random. 

Calling for a nerf this early though? That's asking for trouble for this class be unplayable

You read the last bit I worte, right? I said it was not overpowered, because after all, it can brick badly, but was /broken/. I'm saying that it's designed horribly such that it's bad for the portal player half the time but is capable of doing incredibly broken **** when it does highroll. Win rate does not excuse bad design principles. Recovering pp is fine, 0 cost is also fine. Recovering more pp than you are using is not fine and a deck shouldn't be trash expect for the rare occasion where it's incredibly broken.

Edit: Please note that I like puppet decks despite being stronger for the reasons listed above. It's not designed horrifically. 

Edit2: Just played another game where I was a turn from winning and the guy played two Acceleratiums or whatever. Recovered 3 pp everytime he played an artifact. Literally played his entire hand, drew another half a hand and played a lot of that too. Destroyed everything including my Elephant and still had more than 0pp by the end of his turn. His hands was refilled after that. This is not something that should be a thing. Ever. I don't care if it's rare. It's bad and cygames should feel bad. 

Edited by Karahi

5 hours ago, A Large Ding-Dong said:

@Karahi and @Kyro

Excuse me i do have a Portal craft deck that i built., Opened a play set of Deus and Spinaria. I wasn't calling for a Nerf i was asking the community for their thoughts and opinions. The deck itself seems strong and has answers for almost anything. 

People who want Deus Ex to be nerfed are basically the same as those people who want Daria to be nerfed. (They don't ****ing care about consistency.)

Edited by didyoulikeit

@Kyro

Implication that it's problematic is implying for a nerf. You also implied that you didn't have the deck because you said, " Should i just be a filthy player and join the ranks and abuse this new found power?" so forgive me for actually making that assumption.

Try it on ranked. You get torn up by shadow, dragon, and rune. It does well enough against Haven and swordcraft. Shadow you can somewhat tech, but you I would say it's still a negative win-rate. I have never won against dragon with this deck

@Karahi

I did read. Again, if you just nerfed the artifact playstyle it would be unplayable because there wouldn't be anything going for them. Seriously, they can perform such "high rolls" because there's a 5 unit limit (-1 for the Accel), and they actually have to balance it with resonance. There's a lot more that goes on in that mechanic than most people would think.  The last thing I should mention as well is that at the very most, this sort of thing only clears the board. If let's say someone had a bahamut and dropped it, all that work would have been for nothing. The other thing as well is that decks that' don't rely on board presence can easily ignore the artifacts. If the deck had a way to protect the artifacts and maintain board presence I can see how this "high rolling" can be problematic.

Anyway my thoughts:

Accel probably needs to be changed at some point when more cards are introduced to the class. As it stands right now, it doesn't have enough answers and synergy to warrant a nerf/change to the playstyle. Deus Ex is fine. Her cost and your current hand can really limit on how quickly you can play her if you're lucky enough to draw her by then.

The last thing I should mention is that up until you manage to draw your first Deus or additional Accels, it's hard to be consistent. The more artifacts you add to the deck the more difficult it is in actually "grabbing" the two said cards, which are the 2/3 key cards in the deck (the last being Safira) 

Edited by A Large Ding-Dong

6 hours ago, fangore said:

God, please try playing the class.  Calling it filthy is absolutely ignorant, have you even looked at the cards and how they work?  This is like complaining about discard dragon or something cause you got steamrolled once in a blue moon.  It is incredibly draw dependent, you can't tutor your win conditions, etc etc.  Your power evo card is resonance dependent, your good ward is resonance dependent, etc etc. 

I leave and come back, and the playerbase has somehow gotten even less intelligent.  The meta as it is now is nothing at all like what it will be in a week.  Already today there is a lot less portalcraft and a lot more shadow and sword.  

Personally I can’t see how you can say a craft is ruining a meta that’s a day old.... more a case of “what meta?” Portalcraft fine, it’s basically a slow midrange-Control deck cause all it can do is stall, and stall, and then smack you real hard in the face on turn 10. *shrugs* maybe it’s just me. Lol. Not too keen on the whole, relies on Deus Ex to function, sorta deal it has going for it at the moment,  it well, to be expected, they said it wouldn’t feel complete till next expansion anyway. 

Portal could become real nightmare for the player quick if you only topdeck artifact adding card early game and failed to draw deus ex early and you can't tutor deus ex so usually it's better to avoid adding too much artifact unless you wished to brick hard.

From my early observation :

+ Portal are strong against any deck with slow start.

+ Portal are strong against deck with slow finisher, stuff that can't kill you in a turn

- If you can keep board dominance it's your loss, Shadow currently are better at keeping board dominance

- It's weak to deck that care jack **** bout board dominance,, stuff that OTK you or just burn deck like Burn rune.

Either way RNG need to be on your side just like Daria.. sure if you high roll you can pull impressive combo but if you brick then conceding is faster and less painful death..

8 hours ago, Othello said:

it well, to be expected, they said it wouldn’t feel complete till next expansion anyway. 

That excuse is only acceptable in unlimited but portal is struggling to do anything even in standard. 

They spread themselves too thin with puppets, artifacts, and discard effects leaving all the strategies incomplete. 

For example, Disco-portal cards are literally worthless because discarding doesnt support the main gambits artifacts have so WHY PLAY them? That is an entire playstyle of cards that could have been moved to later set where they actually pushed that concept. Then you could have filled those slots with actual good cards instead. 

1 minute ago, Chappie said:

That excuse is only acceptable in unlimited but portal is struggling to do anything even in standard. 

They spread themselves too thin with puppets, artifacts, and discard effects leaving all the strategies incomplete. 

For example, Disco-portal cards are literally worthless because discarding doesnt support the main gambits artifacts have so WHY PLAY them? That is an entire playstyle of cards that could have been moved to later set where they actually pushed that concept. Then you could have filled those slots with actual good cards instead. 

Only puppet card I run is the Scripture rip off.... o: rest are all artifacts, the issue is without Deus Ex, the main way to get artifacts tutored is limited almost entirely to evo points, but since number of artifacts in is > tutors out, it’s Deus Ex or bust, but then you need to balance whether you want resonance or not via Biofabrication, use Fanfares when you want to stabilise resonance, evo and spells for alternating it, so you generally find first 6 turns is stalling and filling the deck, then Deus Ex lets you sift through all the garbage to get to the artifacts, otherwise you’ll find it’s a very evo hungry craft.

You say you find the discarded portal cards worthless, but you have to consider how good they’d actually be, if it just puts in more artifacts you don’t really need, all they’ve really done is more or less cushioned the negative impact of Machinas effect. Since they got rid of things you don’t really want any more. Might just be the way I play, but I think of it more along the lines of actual technology production, you start with the base components, which gives rise to more powerful components, and you eventually discard the basic components because they’re obsolete. 

8 minutes ago, Othello said:

Only puppet card I run is the Scripture rip off.... o: rest are all artifacts, the issue is without Deus Ex, the main way to get artifacts tutored is limited almost entirely to evo points, but since number of artifacts in is > tutors out, it’s Deus Ex or bust, but then you need to balance whether you want resonance or not via Biofabrication, use Fanfares when you want to stabilise resonance, evo and spells for alternating it, so you generally find first 6 turns is stalling and filling the deck, then Deus Ex lets you sift through all the garbage to get to the artifacts, otherwise you’ll find it’s a very evo hungry craft.

You forgot the part where you also pray you never draw into safira because if you end up discarding her with deus you just lost the game because all you can do is grind. 

11 minutes ago, Othello said:

You say you find the discarded portal cards worthless, but you have to consider how good they’d actually be, if it just puts in more artifacts you don’t really need, all they’ve really done is more or less cushioned the negative impact of Machinas effect. Since they got rid of things you don’t really want any more. Might just be the way I play, but I think of it more along the lines of actual technology production, you start with the base components, which gives rise to more powerful components, and you eventually discard the basic components because they’re obsolete. 

I dont need to consider how good they'd actually be because currently they are trash. Nothing supports them. You fill the deck, tutor the artifacts out and then discard them for effects (some decent, some not) and then roll over and die because discarding doesnt count as destroying so it fuels none of artifacts finishers. 

Its a worthless and counterproductive strategy that was already questionable in the first place because the set up required to pull off one of those effects is already high (unless you blindly draw into an artifact) Its a freaking 3 step process! 

57 minutes ago, Chappie said:

You forgot the part where you also pray you never draw into safira because if you end up discarding her with deus you just lost the game because all you can do is grind. 

I dont need to consider how good they'd actually be because currently they are trash. Nothing supports them. You fill the deck, tutor the artifacts out and then discard them for effects (some decent, some not) and then roll over and die because discarding doesnt count as destroying so it fuels none of artifacts finishers. 

Its a worthless and counterproductive strategy that was already questionable in the first place because the set up required to pull off one of those effects is already high (unless you blindly draw into an artifact) Its a freaking 3 step process! 

Perhaps, but meh, you only need 1 Safira out of 3 to survive, and it’s not like you can’t manipulate resonance, since with the accel amulet, you actually gain pp for using artifacts, Mystic artifacts, radiant and Analyzing all help with the card drawing. So it’s all good to me. :) I quite like the risk-reward aspect, though I do wish we had more specific artifact creators, I want more Mystic n Analyzing ones personally, spend 1pp, get 2pp n draw a card, (and ward, and rush....) never know, give it time, might come to enjoy it, but if not, we’ll, that’s what craft variety is for! 

(And as a bit of an off topic note, can he good control tools not be freaking legendaries?! I’ve already got a list of 11 I need to afford.... xD ) 

35% Winrate. STRONK.

Nevertheless, Portalcraft is kinda enjoyable to play. But it's definitely on the weak side.

Let's see the pros : Draw, Tempo, Versatility, Legendaries (not stronk but well designed to be interesting to play).

Now the cons : Lack of stable finisher, midrange keen but few surviving tools, meh board presence past turn 7, weak to AOEs, tight collection (but that's normal), few interesting cards exploiting Resonance.

But the biggest issue by far is that Portalcraft, by the way it's designed, is really keen to shoot itself in the foot. 

First Puppets. The main, obviously wincon with Puppet is Noah. And should I say, the ONLY one. But the more you try to stack puppets, the fewer cards you can draw without milling yourself. So you end up often using puppets to trade creatures, and if you don't add enough draw source you end up with an empty hand soon enough. The alternative if PTP, but let's face it, Portal has quite not enough defensive tools to survive Unlimited AggrOTKverse.

Second Artifacts. Frankly barely better. The main wincon is Safira. It's a bit better to dominate the board so you might win just like that. But the moment you play Deus Ex, which is kinda mandatory to keep the steam, you're at risk to discard all Safira copy before you could use it. And to make her work, you MUST flood your deck with Artifacts, with a resulting terrible consistency. There is some tutors which save the day, but that's it. Only Acceleratum OPness make it worth a try, without it, Artifact would have like, 10% winrate ?

If anything, this thread and one other similar one on the general discussions are prime examples of knee-jerk reactions to a certain class without actually trying to play said "op" deck.

On 31/12/2017 at 5:34 AM, Kyro said:

I wasn't calling for a Nerf i was asking the community for their thoughts and opinions.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:05 PM, Envy said:

Portalcraft has the lowest winrate with 34% how is it strong?

Its because noone knows how to use it properly yet