Hikaru

Need Help Playing Dirty

10 posts in this topic

I've decided to try runecraft recently so I built this deck with what available for me at the moment. It's a pretty decent deck so far but I'm sure that I could use some advice from more experienced player on how to improve it. Note that I've used up most of my vial playing with blood and forest so I only have around 2k left so at best I could add 3 more gold or if I push it I could add another Legendary on it. This deck seems like hybrid between grind deck and aggro for me but I'm not sure.

I never counted the win-lose ratio in earnest but for the last 10 matches it's been 5 lost to 5 win on A0 however that number are unreliable since among those 2 matches I lose to D-shift twice, the other lost came from face sword with perfect curve and the other two from bad matchup with storm dragon. So far from my observation this deck are strong against aggro and neutral forest, ramp dragon, aggro and token blood, all kind of heavens deck (faced Storm Elana, control, Aegis, Seraph and even meet Avatar once), it's pretty strong against midrange sword due to the recycle of Professor and never have problem with shadow ranging from Nepnep, Alice/Mord lockdown or even Atomeme cuz I always have my Petrification ready vs Shadowcraft.

However so far I have found storm dragon to be a bad match up, D-shift is a 50-50 chance depends on my (and my enemy) draw, face sword too kind of depend on my draw, that is if I could draw wild Golem it should be my win ez. I noticed there's lack of ward other than that junk golem but so far I found that's enough to stall time so I don't really find it to be a problem except when facing storm or face dragon. their healing ability is bull..

anyway for now I've been considering of these 3 ways to improve it

1. Buy another Hulking Giant from shop to increase my firepower, probably removing oz from my deck

2. put Gilgamesh on the deck to replace hulking giant and Oz aiming to recycle it with illusionist as finisher

3. add piercing rune to damage the enemy,, create some old levi to gain access to crimson sorcery

or alternatively

3. create Winter caprice or Mutagenic bold to deal with AoE, calamity curse might work too but I don't wanna use earth rite if possible and it might not hit something like Beast, Genesis or other high defense follower

usually when I build a deck forest or blood deck I could somehow pinpoint it weakness but I'm troubled because I can't feel anything wrong in this deck so far except that it lack real finisher so I need advice from Rune Guru for this one.

It's lacking burn if you plan to steer towards burn rune. But it doesn't have ER value cards to be considered control ER. Hulk Giant is fine but you'll need a back up plan should your giant got banished, killed by bane or random effect, Themis'd, got walled, transformed, or returned to your hand. So, best girl OZ is kinda necessary to refill your hand in an emergency situation. You can replace her with Melvie but please keep in mind that your opponent is also drawing cards except if they already have seven in their hand. But Melvie won't banish your spell and you get 2 more cards. But to utilize Melvie, you'll absolutely need AoE spells. Personally, I keep 2 mutagenic bolt and two calamitous curse because... y'know... Aggro meta. And you need cheaper value cards to dump on your board. But that was if you plan to utilize Melvie at all. If you plan to add more OZ, then welcome to Burn Rune Realm. You hit them hard and scorch their face with cheap burn cards thanks to OZ. They think they can just smorc you up? Teach them the Karl's pain train and the best cheap control tools Rune ever had. Though, yes you'll need old man Levi.

Speaking about Aggro, ER should be the strongest Aggro checker. Both variant uses a bit more control tools than regular aggro and better value overall. You can try navigate trough cheaper burn rune. You can tech in Hulk Giant, but like I said you'll need a back up plan. Be it Melvie or OZ.

52 minutes ago, Trimmage said:

It's lacking burn if you plan to steer towards burn rune.

that's the funny thing, I started thinking that probably this gonna be a budget burn rune at the beginning but turns out it become an concede-craft.. It's not exactly a control rune but it's feels more control-ish and usually I won by avoiding trading and letting the passive effect of either Wild Golem or Professor kill the follower for me.. it's end up strangely into a swarm deck by abusing Illusionist. Also note that I usually can pilot this deck with only a single Evo point or even without evo point at all if I'm lucky.

1 hour ago, Trimmage said:

Hulk Giant is fine but you'll need a back up plan should your giant got banished, killed by bane or random effect, Themis'd, got walled, transformed, or returned to your hand. So, best girl OZ is kinda necessary to refill your hand in an emergency situation.

Actually I included Hulk mainly cuz 'why not?' and all I hope from him is that it'll put pressure on the enemy so that they pull the AoE/big minion out.. but yes the AoE removal is a valid point,, I've experienced how lifesaving Oz recently when I managed to topdeck her when I'm backed to the corner (well technically not really, just that I lack finisher at hand) so yeah I might try to make one Oz later if I stuck, thanks, I hope 2 Oz is suffice.

and nope, No Melvie, this deck is a grind deck so the less card my opponent have the better it is.. I even go as far as Banish/turn Staircase that almost popped to harass my enemy.. like they usually went all out thinking that their hand will replenish itself, I was like "NOPE!" *Evil Laugh*.... ehh anyway but no Melvie thank you, I'll rather built another Oz.. maybe it's time to pop Uro or Alexander..

1 hour ago, Trimmage said:

you'll absolutely need AoE spells... I keep 2 mutagenic bolt and two calamitous curse ....

Hmm.. so far I rarely felt overwhelmed to control board except on Daria perfect combo (Daria to Daria to Daria) so... like aggro sword usually get intimidated by my board and aggro blood can be easily cleaned by Wild Golem.. so I don't think I need that much AoE removal (not to mention I'm not sure which card to replace)... I've been thinking that Mutagenic is better than Calamitous because it's able to deal with stuff like B&B and the stuff or am I mistaken?? or maybe I need to use that much if I'm going to AA? (I'm at A0 at the moment).. or maybe winter Caprice is better?

Anyway is there's such thing as control dirt / Earth rite Rune? cuz seriously I think this deck are closer to that.. (I just started like a month and a half ago so I'm unfamiliar with archetype other than Meta)

thanks

Uhm...

This deck is weird, but seems interesting.

It's actually a midrange-y Dirt Rune. Almost no burn, and great focus on value. Problem is, as you already said, it lacks a finisher.

To me, this decks seems very much a Rune version of Midrange Shadow. With a key difference: Rune doesn't have an Eachtar to transform board advantage into face damage. This is why current Dirt Rune decks run a LOT of burn: Old & Young Levi, Halo Golem, DoD, MutaBolt, and then Oz to refill their hand. You don't need to buff board if you regularly burn face.

You need something to push damage, maybe sacrificing a bit of value. Hulking Giant is simply not enough.

Elder Mage of Dragonlore could be an idea, but I've never seen him as a great card.

Alternatively, you have to cut some pure value cards like Illusionist and Wild Golem to include more burn, like those Levis, MutaBolt and one extra Halo Golem. But you'll need 2+ Oz for this: burning face depletes value, so you need something that can refuel your hand.

You can also go the "control" way, but it's an uphill path: ER never got a true "control finisher", so you might end up losing games just because you are not able to close them when you're ahead.

(Also, 3x Telescope. Always. It's one of the greatest upsides of Dirt Rune, being able to play with 37 cards instead of 40. Take advantage of it.)

1 hour ago, midgardsormr said:

This deck is weird, but seems interesting.

I thought so too, lol. well weird or interesting aside I have lots of fun piloting this deck, the reason why I think it's control-ish is that usually I have multiple way to deal with situation with what I have at hand, it's no auto-pilot at all which makes it fun, especially since as you said it lack real finisher therefore you're not aiming for certain situation but rather just adapt as you go.. probably not the most optimal deck,, but not that weak either. As a side note usually the match will be pretty long even against aggro..

1 hour ago, midgardsormr said:

You don't need to buff board if you regularly burn face.

Hmm.. from what I see.. the value of this deck lies mostly on wild golem or professor.. the former give you leeway to avoid trading, and the latter give you tons of fresh follower. illusionist just recycle them so that I could re-flood the board easily or generally just have some free rush to trade.. point is that in exchange of burn you'll just chip in some damage to enemy leader when there's opportunity.. and usually you want to keep your board healthy thus making it hard for the enemy to have a good trade..   compared to Midrange Eachtar which focused on trading early,, this deck prefer to go face like aggro whenever there's opportunity and use board pressure as deterrent hence it's pretty weak against storm dragon that are capable of dropping huge damage together with bull heal.

anyway roger on the telescope, for now I want to go a bit more towards control.. dunno what will happen but at least I've been climbing steadily on ladder and I'll see how far it'll carry me..  at least I'll add one more oz to the mix..

Edited by Hikaru
adding small detail

Oz is good only if you often find yourself with 4 cards or less in hand, otherwise other options could be better. She is great in Burn decks because you usually just throw everything you can at your opponent's face, but in control-ish decks that play one card per turn she might be underwhelming.

I see the strategy of your deck, but chip damage is not enough to close games, especially at midrange pace. It works if you commit to it in an aggro fashion, from turn 1, but your deck is slower and in SV every midrange deck needs something to push that last bit of damage: Shadow has Eachtar, Sword has Albert, Dragon has Forte and Genesis, Forest has Roach and B&B, Blood has a plethora of storm followers and reach. Rune... has nothing. Literally. :/

Your deck is probably great against all kind of aggro and some combo, so it's no surprise that you can climb steadily with it. But it has also little value compared to other midrange decks like Neutral Forest, Mid Shadow and Storm Haven. And I can see it suffering a bit against DShift too (unless you're able to pull that Hulking Giant on curve).

I don't know what rank you're in and the meta you're facing, I'm saying this just because my meta is very midrange-y and storm-y with some DShift in it, and they seem exactly the weak points of this deck. But of course it's you who are using it, so if you find it good then you're fine. :)

Edited by midgardsormr

5 hours ago, midgardsormr said:

Oz is good only if you often find yourself with 4 cards or less in hand

It's not that often, but she did save my life few times when I need to spam those petri or concentration with minimal AP.. and yes usually I have lots of card on hand due to only playing them one by one

Edit : Apparently I'm better off teching 2 fullmoon in case of Aegis attack compared to using Halo Golem.. Halo 8 out of 10 Halo golem literally does nothing on my hand

Edited by Hikaru

5 hours ago, Hikaru said:

Edit : Apparently I'm better off teching 2 fullmoon in case of Aegis attack compared to using Halo Golem.. Halo 8 out of 10 Halo golem literally does nothing on my hand

This is an overkill. I haven't seen aegis for at least a month. You should tech against DS curently, but Golem does this job for you.

You should try using Gilgamesh - even if your gilgamesh dies, you'll just pull out another one with your illusionist.

On 11/15/2017 at 2:24 AM, Xulin said:

You should try using Gilgamesh - even if your gilgamesh dies, you'll just pull out another one with your illusionist.

been trying this, it's not that consistent but I'm able to finish some fight with it.. Elder Mage of Dragon born might be better if we consider that he'll fill the board on top of storm but Windblast dragon are 6pp follower so Illusionist can't bring it back

On 11/15/2017 at 1:44 AM, zzMedVeDzz said:

This is an overkill. I haven't seen aegis for at least a month. You should tech against DS curently, but Golem does this job for you.

It's usually Elana backup plan.. like I keep banish the Elana so they just pull 2 Aegis with Aether..  but I agree with you that it's overkill

thing is I'm pissed at RNG cuz I've been topdecking Fullmoon every fight so I just drop those 2 full moon, for now I'm shifting to more aggro approach using Lorea.. usually using this deck turned into mud fight, if it's just against Sword, Forest, or Shadow I could manage but usually those storm dragon and Aegis just bulldoze through my board to steal the match, especially Dragon with their bull healing ,so far managed to punish 2 of those guys with Lorea.

for DS I managed somehow with Magic Illusionist... that is if I managed to topdeck the dude.... but there's also the case of Kaleidoscopic Glow.. honestly it's a control deck so it's almost auto-lose to D-shift as long as they carry Kaleidoscopic glow which is a wishful thinking ofc..  I don't bet on it but if I managed to mulligan Hulk I won ( I Have 2 atm one from the deck shop)

alternatively I've tried some earthshock Ogre, it's pretty nice as finisher because usually I have 2 or 1 spare evo by turn 8.. and that 6 damage are helpful.. but i'm not convinced yet to make it perma..