Sign in to follow this  
fangore

The anime thread

232 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Chappie said:

Anyway I finally finished Black Lagoon. It was..... ok I guess. The action and animation was all decent for its time but the story was very episodic and only Revy, Rock and Balalaika (towards the very end) get any real development as far as characters go making the cast feel a bit flat and one dimensional. My biggest gripe is the fluctuating tone because in some episodes its super gritty like the "vampire twins" arc and the next we have a terminator Maid chasing down cars, tanking bullets and effortlessly overpowering everyone to an extent that is quite comical. And we cant forget the chuuni gunman who spent most of his time monolouging and striking poses..... The show just cant decide if it wants to take itself seriously or be a soft comedy. 

It is both, the author wanted to make it a "Hollywood" like, sometimes gritty, with some laugh thrown in just like reservoir dog.. wait that's not good example.. uh it's like free fire or Die hard with the MC being OP af throwing cuss and one liner.

Your observation however are pretty astute, the main focus and the only character to constantly get a development is Rock and to some extent Revy. The other character are there as plot device, even fellow member of Lagoon like Benny and Dutch (In fact Dutch and Benny will play minimal role in the subsequent story arc which is Roberta's Blood trails, and the chink girl agent arc) Black Lagoon is ultimately a story about Rock and how he; someone who're born in "normal" society would change overtime in Roanapur. As I said it is something like a hollywood parody but as you can see in 'bloodsport fairy tale' and 'Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise' they don't slack when it comes to the core of the series which is about Rock development.

In fact look for Roberta's blood trail, a 4 part OVA directly after Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise. From then on Rock is like entirely another person thanks to his experience in Japan.

Oh and since you like Balalaika then you have to watch Roberta's blood trail,, you might love or hate the direction of Rock development and maybe kinda hate it that the Terminator Maid is back but I must say that one scene where Balalaika once again acted as "Kapitan" for one time occasion is among the best scene she ever had.

On 09/02/2018 at 3:27 AM, Chappie said:

All that said, I do adore Balalaika's character. Wish she had a bit more screentime actually because she was a pretty interesting character. 

Lol, when i replied to your post about the series, i actualy initialy thought to mention, that one of the only things i still like about it(looking back), is Balalaika. but i wanted my critic of the anime to be as negative as possible, so i didnt mention her. but i did like her to. i dont like her Soviet background ofcorse since i hate communism, but rather like some raw aspects of her, as a white woman. she also had a noble dream.. its unfortunate that "history" "in this case", dragged her into the fires of mindless war, instead of the olympic stadium.

i recentely started watching "Yamada-kun and the seven Witches", but it only lasted 1 episode. this happens often, that i see 1 episode or even less, and its enough to see its not my thing, and drop it. but the reason why i find it worth mentioning, is because i was initialy surprised by it. because i usualy dislike animes based on school life, but this one i thought maybe i would like it... until at the end of the episode, when they have two guys kiss eachother. sigh...

but while on the subject of school life animes, i did watch "Great Teacher Onizuka".

Edited by yami..

sharing my MAL stats

btw fate/extra last encore's MC is really bland, but somewhat interesting... definitely better than Sieg for sure

Screenshot_2018-02-11-19-54-52-993_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by didyoulikeit

1 hour ago, didyoulikeit said:

btw fate/extra last encore's MC is really bland, but somewhat interesting... definitely better than Sieg for sure

Hakuno IS bland, he's meant to be your self-insert character and he is required to be blank for plot sake,, at least in the original Extra.

Last Encore however are way different from Extra so I wouldn't know.. at least it's definitely different from CCC foxtail Hakuno which is a funny guy with determination.

holy crap I am in tears! Darling in the Franxx is like pacific Rim but if literally everything was an innuendo and they piloted moe mecha. I cannot for the life of me take this show seriously and I dont think the writers want me to anyway. Ep 2 forced me to pause the vid for like 10 minutes as I laughed my **** off at the MCs "performance issues". 

With only 2 eps down I cant say for certain if the show is going to be good or not at this point but since the animation is great and the show itself hilarious (perhaps not for the reasons they hoped) I am willing to stick with it for now. 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:07 AM, Hikaru said:

It is both, the author wanted to make it a "Hollywood" like, sometimes gritty, with some laugh thrown in just like reservoir dog.. wait that's not good example.. uh it's like free fire or Die hard with the MC being OP af throwing cuss and one liner.

Your observation however are pretty astute, the main focus and the only character to constantly get a development is Rock and to some extent Revy. The other character are there as plot device, even fellow member of Lagoon like Benny and Dutch (In fact Dutch and Benny will play minimal role in the subsequent story arc which is Roberta's Blood trails, and the chink girl agent arc) Black Lagoon is ultimately a story about Rock and how he; someone who're born in "normal" society would change overtime in Roanapur. As I said it is something like a hollywood parody but as you can see in 'bloodsport fairy tale' and 'Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise' they don't slack when it comes to the core of the series which is about Rock development.

In fact look for Roberta's blood trail, a 4 part OVA directly after Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise. From then on Rock is like entirely another person thanks to his experience in Japan.

Oh and since you like Balalaika then you have to watch Roberta's blood trail,, you might love or hate the direction of Rock development and maybe kinda hate it that the Terminator Maid is back but I must say that one scene where Balalaika once again acted as "Kapitan" for one time occasion is among the best scene she ever had.

errr on one hand I would enjoy seeing more Balalaika but if it means a 4 part ova featuring the terminator maid I am kind of hesitant to go for it. I REALLY ****ing hate that maid man....

Does the OVA offer anything of substance to the series? Because if not I dont think I will bother. 

18 hours ago, yami.. said:

i recentely started watching "Yamada-kun and the seven Witches", but it only lasted 1 episode. this happens often, that i see 1 episode or even less, and its enough to see its not my thing, and drop it. but the reason why i find it worth mentioning, is because i was initialy surprised by it. because i usualy dislike animes based on school life, but this one i thought maybe i would like it... until at the end of the episode, when they have two guys kiss eachother. sigh...

but while on the subject of school life animes, i did watch "Great Teacher Onizuka".

I find that it takes around 3 episodes to actually get to understand what a show is about. Some shows have REALLY slow starts or change so rapidly in tone and style after they establish the groundwork of their universe so its hard for me to ever justify dropping something sooner then that. A fine example would be Madoka Magica which went down a very different road then I was expecting on ep 3. Up until that point I thought I had just bumbled into another generic magical girl show. 

Edited by Chappie

7 hours ago, Chappie said:

I find that it takes around 3 episodes to actually get to understand what a show is about. Some shows have REALLY slow starts or change so rapidly in tone and style after they establish the groundwork of their universe so its hard for me to ever justify dropping something sooner then that. A fine example would be Madoka Magica which went down a very different road then I was expecting on ep 3. Up until that point I thought I had just bumbled into another generic magical girl show. 

Yea. something similar happened with me with Kaiji. i actualy watched and droped the series on the first episodes initialy. but then one day i was more bored than usual and watched furhter, and then i got hooked like a fish. so i understand thats true, but usualy i can just tell if it is for me or not, even by just looking at a few pictures.

but in this ones case, i droped it because of the marxism propaganda on it. i believe that those things need to be boycotted, to make the world a better place. the Japanese should do the same thing, because homosexuality plays a role in lowering birth rates, and theirs are bellow replacement level already.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, Chappie said:

errr on one hand I would enjoy seeing more Balalaika but if it means a 4 part ova featuring the terminator maid I am kind of hesitant to go for it. I REALLY ****ing hate that maid man....

Does the OVA offer anything of substance to the series? Because if not I dont think I will bother. 

It's the first time Rock went wild, it show his progression, but that's all.

also Episode 5 Darling in the Franxx seems to have weird turn.. I guess how they handle this part will define how the series will be in the future.. but it's based on ongoing Manga so I doubt it'll end in how I wanted it to be..