Sign in to follow this  
fangore

The anime thread

248 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Chappie said:

Anyway I finally finished Black Lagoon. It was..... ok I guess. The action and animation was all decent for its time but the story was very episodic and only Revy, Rock and Balalaika (towards the very end) get any real development as far as characters go making the cast feel a bit flat and one dimensional. My biggest gripe is the fluctuating tone because in some episodes its super gritty like the "vampire twins" arc and the next we have a terminator Maid chasing down cars, tanking bullets and effortlessly overpowering everyone to an extent that is quite comical. And we cant forget the chuuni gunman who spent most of his time monolouging and striking poses..... The show just cant decide if it wants to take itself seriously or be a soft comedy. 

It is both, the author wanted to make it a "Hollywood" like, sometimes gritty, with some laugh thrown in just like reservoir dog.. wait that's not good example.. uh it's like free fire or Die hard with the MC being OP af throwing cuss and one liner.

Your observation however are pretty astute, the main focus and the only character to constantly get a development is Rock and to some extent Revy. The other character are there as plot device, even fellow member of Lagoon like Benny and Dutch (In fact Dutch and Benny will play minimal role in the subsequent story arc which is Roberta's Blood trails, and the chink girl agent arc) Black Lagoon is ultimately a story about Rock and how he; someone who're born in "normal" society would change overtime in Roanapur. As I said it is something like a hollywood parody but as you can see in 'bloodsport fairy tale' and 'Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise' they don't slack when it comes to the core of the series which is about Rock development.

In fact look for Roberta's blood trail, a 4 part OVA directly after Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise. From then on Rock is like entirely another person thanks to his experience in Japan.

Oh and since you like Balalaika then you have to watch Roberta's blood trail,, you might love or hate the direction of Rock development and maybe kinda hate it that the Terminator Maid is back but I must say that one scene where Balalaika once again acted as "Kapitan" for one time occasion is among the best scene she ever had.

On 09/02/2018 at 3:27 AM, Chappie said:

All that said, I do adore Balalaika's character. Wish she had a bit more screentime actually because she was a pretty interesting character. 

Lol, when i replied to your post about the series, i actualy initialy thought to mention, that one of the only things i still like about it(looking back), is Balalaika. but i wanted my critic of the anime to be as negative as possible, so i didnt mention her. but i did like her to. i dont like her Soviet background ofcorse since i hate communism, but rather like some raw aspects of her, as a white woman. she also had a noble dream.. its unfortunate that "history" "in this case", dragged her into the fires of mindless war, instead of the olympic stadium.

i recentely started watching "Yamada-kun and the seven Witches", but it only lasted 1 episode. this happens often, that i see 1 episode or even less, and its enough to see its not my thing, and drop it. but the reason why i find it worth mentioning, is because i was initialy surprised by it. because i usualy dislike animes based on school life, but this one i thought maybe i would like it... until at the end of the episode, when they have two guys kiss eachother. sigh...

but while on the subject of school life animes, i did watch "Great Teacher Onizuka".

Edited by yami..

sharing my MAL stats

btw fate/extra last encore's MC is really bland, but somewhat interesting... definitely better than Sieg for sure

Screenshot_2018-02-11-19-54-52-993_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by didyoulikeit

1 hour ago, didyoulikeit said:

btw fate/extra last encore's MC is really bland, but somewhat interesting... definitely better than Sieg for sure

Hakuno IS bland, he's meant to be your self-insert character and he is required to be blank for plot sake,, at least in the original Extra.

Last Encore however are way different from Extra so I wouldn't know.. at least it's definitely different from CCC foxtail Hakuno which is a funny guy with determination.

holy crap I am in tears! Darling in the Franxx is like pacific Rim but if literally everything was an innuendo and they piloted moe mecha. I cannot for the life of me take this show seriously and I dont think the writers want me to anyway. Ep 2 forced me to pause the vid for like 10 minutes as I laughed my **** off at the MCs "performance issues". 

With only 2 eps down I cant say for certain if the show is going to be good or not at this point but since the animation is great and the show itself hilarious (perhaps not for the reasons they hoped) I am willing to stick with it for now. 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:07 AM, Hikaru said:

It is both, the author wanted to make it a "Hollywood" like, sometimes gritty, with some laugh thrown in just like reservoir dog.. wait that's not good example.. uh it's like free fire or Die hard with the MC being OP af throwing cuss and one liner.

Your observation however are pretty astute, the main focus and the only character to constantly get a development is Rock and to some extent Revy. The other character are there as plot device, even fellow member of Lagoon like Benny and Dutch (In fact Dutch and Benny will play minimal role in the subsequent story arc which is Roberta's Blood trails, and the chink girl agent arc) Black Lagoon is ultimately a story about Rock and how he; someone who're born in "normal" society would change overtime in Roanapur. As I said it is something like a hollywood parody but as you can see in 'bloodsport fairy tale' and 'Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise' they don't slack when it comes to the core of the series which is about Rock development.

In fact look for Roberta's blood trail, a 4 part OVA directly after Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise. From then on Rock is like entirely another person thanks to his experience in Japan.

Oh and since you like Balalaika then you have to watch Roberta's blood trail,, you might love or hate the direction of Rock development and maybe kinda hate it that the Terminator Maid is back but I must say that one scene where Balalaika once again acted as "Kapitan" for one time occasion is among the best scene she ever had.

errr on one hand I would enjoy seeing more Balalaika but if it means a 4 part ova featuring the terminator maid I am kind of hesitant to go for it. I REALLY ****ing hate that maid man....

Does the OVA offer anything of substance to the series? Because if not I dont think I will bother. 

18 hours ago, yami.. said:

i recentely started watching "Yamada-kun and the seven Witches", but it only lasted 1 episode. this happens often, that i see 1 episode or even less, and its enough to see its not my thing, and drop it. but the reason why i find it worth mentioning, is because i was initialy surprised by it. because i usualy dislike animes based on school life, but this one i thought maybe i would like it... until at the end of the episode, when they have two guys kiss eachother. sigh...

but while on the subject of school life animes, i did watch "Great Teacher Onizuka".

I find that it takes around 3 episodes to actually get to understand what a show is about. Some shows have REALLY slow starts or change so rapidly in tone and style after they establish the groundwork of their universe so its hard for me to ever justify dropping something sooner then that. A fine example would be Madoka Magica which went down a very different road then I was expecting on ep 3. Up until that point I thought I had just bumbled into another generic magical girl show. 

Edited by Chappie

7 hours ago, Chappie said:

I find that it takes around 3 episodes to actually get to understand what a show is about. Some shows have REALLY slow starts or change so rapidly in tone and style after they establish the groundwork of their universe so its hard for me to ever justify dropping something sooner then that. A fine example would be Madoka Magica which went down a very different road then I was expecting on ep 3. Up until that point I thought I had just bumbled into another generic magical girl show. 

Yea. something similar happened with me with Kaiji. i actualy watched and droped the series on the first episodes initialy. but then one day i was more bored than usual and watched furhter, and then i got hooked like a fish. so i understand thats true, but usualy i can just tell if it is for me or not, even by just looking at a few pictures.

but in this ones case, i droped it because of the marxism propaganda on it. i believe that those things need to be boycotted, to make the world a better place. the Japanese should do the same thing, because homosexuality plays a role in lowering birth rates, and theirs are bellow replacement level already.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, Chappie said:

errr on one hand I would enjoy seeing more Balalaika but if it means a 4 part ova featuring the terminator maid I am kind of hesitant to go for it. I REALLY ****ing hate that maid man....

Does the OVA offer anything of substance to the series? Because if not I dont think I will bother. 

It's the first time Rock went wild, it show his progression, but that's all.

also Episode 5 Darling in the Franxx seems to have weird turn.. I guess how they handle this part will define how the series will be in the future.. but it's based on ongoing Manga so I doubt it'll end in how I wanted it to be..

Finally got around to watching "Made In Abyss".  Am super glad I did.  The backgrounds and strange creatures are absolutely gorgeous and imaginative.  There is so much great lore and worldbuilding here as well.  The main characters are sort of typical in terms of their personality, but they go through stuff that is anything but.  Music is good, and it has several moving heart wrenching moments particularly near the end.  Ozen and Nanachi are my favorite characters.  Look forward to the 2nd season, though considering where the manga is at (not that I've read it, but from looking it up) might be awhile til we get it.  

Really looking forward to April.  New Legend of Galactic Heroes anime done by IG (if you haven't watched the original, you are totally missing out, one of the best if not best ever) and then also Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory (Finally after all these years!).  

Land of Lustrous was interesting world building and character development particularly in the main character.  The mysteries around the monk and why the gems and lunarians do what they do is also fascinating, look forward to the next season.

Magus bride at first looked really disturbing with this towering old man buying a teen girl as a slave pet.  However it was nothing like that, and ended up being an incredible fantasy anime that also looks gorgeous.  I thought the ending was rushed, and didn't like some aspects of it.  However still good stuff.

Finally watched Steins gate, which immediately went to my short list of best anime ever.  Hilariously entertaining characters even if many are based on cliches, intelligent and believable plot on time travel which is always an interesting concept, and tons of moving emotion.  

Now watching Full Metal Panic Invisible victory, the new Galactic Heroes, and Steins gate 0.  

Anime season is amazing in case anyone is watching.  Steins Gate 0, my god the emotion the sadness the drama!  The new Legend of Galactic Heroes series while making cuts and such, the animation is awesome and it is much much better than I thought it would be.  More focus at least for now on Yang Wen Li, which I hope continues, one of the few criticisms I have for LoGH which I still consider maybe the greatest anime ever is that it coverage wasn't even there was a lot more focus on the Empire.  

Oh and Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory is really brutal depiction of war and also awesome.

Havent gotten around to any of the new stuff coming out this season since I am trying (and failing) to catch up with the one piece manga despite never watching any episodes or reading a single chapter prior to this. The only show I am currently watching is darling in the franxx which thankfully shifted away from the fanservice it started out with and has been focusing more on drama instead. 

I had no idea stiens gate 0 was out since I had been waiting for it for so long I kind of forgot it even existed. Full metal panic sounds familiar though..... is this a reboot or new season of an older anime? I really do think I watched something called that a long time ago.... but if its a war show then chances are that it is relevant to my interests. 

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory is a new season, I think only 12 episodes or something but it should get another 12 later.  This will complete the series and cover all the material.  Yeah the wait was super long between this and Second raid, but it seems well worth it.

Steins Gate 0, I'm really impressed check it out.  The animation is incredible and it is just heart wrenching.  I assume you watched the bonus episode 23.5 of regular Steins gate?  Cause this is following that timeline.  

Well considering how long it has been since the first season I will have to rewatch it or else I wont know what the hell is going on. As for steins gate, when Darling in the Franxx is finally over I shall watch it next assuming I can ever make decent progress on all the other things I am backed up on. 

On 2018-05-20 at 4:13 PM, fangore said:

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory is a new season, I think only 12 episodes or something but it should get another 12 later.  This will complete the series and cover all the material.  Yeah the wait was super long between this and Second raid, but it seems well worth it.

Steins Gate 0, I'm really impressed check it out.  The animation is incredible and it is just heart wrenching.  I assume you watched the bonus episode 23.5 of regular Steins gate?  Cause this is following that timeline.  

Steins;Gate 0 is great so far. Hopefully we finally get to see some real resolution to everything from Okabe's character development to the final fate of the future in universe.

3 hours ago, Karahi said:

Steins;Gate 0 is great so far. Hopefully we finally get to see some real resolution to everything from Okabe's character development to the final fate of the future in universe.

Yeah I've been quite amazed, particularly with how emotionally moving it is.  For some reason all the female characters went up a couple cup sizes from the first anime, despite it only being 6 months since then?  Not that I'm complaining.  

On 4/18/2018 at 8:53 PM, fangore said:

Finally watched Steins gate, which immediately went to my short list of best anime ever.  Hilariously entertaining characters even if many are based on cliches, intelligent and believable plot on time travel which is always an interesting concept, and tons of moving emotion.  

Read the VN fam. 10/10, not even my cynical **** could take points off that ****.

On topic: I've been sitting on this Chtholly profile for a bit, and I've come to realization SukaSuka is my favourite anime because of her. **** everything else.

16 hours ago, Chinadude101 said:

Read the VN fam. 10/10, not even my cynical **** could take points off that ****.

On topic: I've been sitting on this Chtholly profile for a bit, and I've come to realization SukaSuka is my favourite anime because of her. **** everything else.

Is the VN very different?  I've never done visual novels, aren't those usually in Japanese?

6 hours ago, fangore said:

Is the VN very different?  I've never done visual novels, aren't those usually in Japanese?

Steins;Gate is translated. The VN vs anime is similar to books vs movies, though the difference is not as pronounced. In VN's there also tends to be multiple endings, and choices in the story which guide you to those endings.

Also VN's tend to have sexual content, though not in this case.

57 minutes ago, Chinadude101 said:

Steins;Gate is translated. The VN vs anime is similar to books vs movies, though the difference is not as pronounced. In VN's there also tends to be multiple endings, and choices in the story which guide you to those endings.

Also VN's tend to have sexual content, though not in this case.

Ah okay, I may check it out.  I loved Steins gate, and Steins gate 0 is awesome thusfar as well.  

OKay I watched both Bahamut seasons and Granblue season and I have some questions. Will be glad if some body answer them.

Bahamut season 1: If you need 2 keys to seal baha and 2 keys to unseal it. How did Belzebub open it with only 1 key? If amira was made from the demon key, why nobody is searching missing demon key? Angels instanly went into the chase and I kinda dubt the demons honor satan less then angels honored zeus. 
- If 2000 years ego baha was sealed, why monument in the capital have hero knight on top? I mean humans did nothing exept throwing they bodys at him. Why there is no little statues of zeus/satan?
- How does this baha thing work? if it is destroying world every time, how could be knowledge of him? He basicaly reseting civilization every time. Does it mean that baha didn't managed to destroy world at least once?
- Where did baha blinked after getting hit in the head. I totaly dont getting this part. Girl inside was clearly alive, so why?
- How baha was dealt before sealing thing?
Over all I like character design, hero development and side characters. I disliked plot (how easily logic lost there), ending and thing with random encounters. People just went into random locations and keep metting other people who "randomly" was there. Like capital is huge, but they keeping met ech other. cmn.

Bahamut season 2: How world changed this much in 10 years??? They already knew how to create flying ships, it's like 100-200 years in our time.
 - Lend of gods/demon invasion is totaly bs. I can't buy it. Humans literaly can't do to other races without green gems, wich means, how did they get it to begin with?
 - 1 season villain had knowledge about anti god/demon magic and did use it? Realy? He was so kind to decrypt everything and just leave it as is. Right after he knew that baha can be killed.
 - Gods knew about super magic, but were stupid to understand/use or ask help or do anything besides guarding it?
 - If magic was developed befor 3 races, why it doesn't work on humans? Super magic, wich can kill baha accidently doesn't work on the weakest ones.
 - Super seal is not super enough against super magic? How did baha even appeared? Where was he?
 - Is king an edgy ***? Like why didn't he ask for help? I can understand why he had to concile his intentions. But he could try? There was realy no need to conquer half of the world and enslave everybody. 
 - Why did they downcreep the demons? In first season Azazel couldn't be killed via mortal weapon. Where did that thing go? Anybody rekting him now.
 - Why Lucifer doing nothing for 2 seasons?
 - Why Gabriel is such a ***? Like from her 10 desicions, only 2 were effective?
 - Kingdom doesn't know what people are leaving in the kingdome? Nobody knew about dragonfolk, but they are part of the empire. What about tax gatherers? If so strong people leave in this world, why didn't they included in the army, nourished and made core of human power? We know that there are at least 2 dragon villages!
 - Cerb, Beastdom and Moon al miraj are hookers? King/humanity are enslaving and killing other races, but saved all the waifus? Imagine that you are nazi, you hate jew, but for some reason it is ok to **** jew. I dont know what were happening in the ww2, but I kinda doubt that jew slaves were allowed to have brothels and work there..
 - Where did Baha went again? Isn't he tired of beeng constantly thrown back and forth?
 - Why Jeanne choose heaven in the end?
Over all I liked fan service, character design and cameos. I disliked plot (it was weak again, with a bunch of holes), random encounter thing (again) and breaking of rules. Belp was destroyed, boobs and horn wasted.. Jeanne is just cach a break, man. She went throw alot. She should be the main character... SHe was selected as holy knight with power and responsebilety, wich a dream of be peoples hero who slain Baha. Then she was betreat by humans and gods, got turned into demon, killed top angels, was excused by Michael, forced to live with emtyness of her making, losing her sainety, losing her position, becaming peasans on the end of world, get forcefully impregmented, still kept faith in gods, saved one, get prisoned for it, had to cut her own son, leaving him behind with slaves, had to run from prison, had to see son almost becaming evil, had to see people killing gods, had to see own son be killed, had to lead demihuman army against humans, had to kill hammer head. Man this is some ****ed up ****. If there will be season 3, I hope it will be about Jeanne dark, when she goes full Enoshima Junko, losing faith in humanity and gods and just goes on the rampage. I'l totaly chear for her.  I just feeling that she is amazing character beeng wasted.. Like she is unbandable like iron bar, they could keep her anbandable but make her shining iron lose color, and became more real.

Grandblue: - is it future of RoB world?
 - How did random village boy killed several trained fully armored soldiers?
 - WHY BAHA again? Stop millking poor bustard. You gave him bdsm costume, you made him "good", staaahp.
 - Did they genderband main character for filler episodes?
 - Will there be season 2?
Over all it was pretty good. I liked characters, cameos main heroine power, action and plot (ironicaly). It was great to see all those heroes. They went all in on animation. Butterfly boobs cheeck is funny, I hope she will have good animation, her effects in the show were amazing and insipring. I kinda even had desire to instal GB, but it turned out I can't do that. Region lock?
Did cygames selected cards for this expantion, based on the fuct of appearing or absennce in the anime?

On 6/26/2018 at 5:12 AM, zzMedVeDzz said:

Grandblue: - is it future of RoB world?
 - How did random village boy killed several trained fully armored soldiers?
 - WHY BAHA again? Stop millking poor bustard. You gave him bdsm costume, you made him "good", staaahp.
 - Did they genderband main character for filler episodes?
 - Will there be season 2?
Over all it was pretty good. I liked characters, cameos main heroine power, action and plot (ironicaly). It was great to see all those heroes. They went all in on animation. Butterfly boobs cheeck is funny, I hope she will have good animation, her effects in the show were amazing and insipring. I kinda even had desire to instal GB, but it turned out I can't do that. Region lock?
Did cygames selected cards for this expantion, based on the fuct of appearing or absennce in the anime?

Random thread necro, but whatever.

(1) It's not. GBF borrows a lot of characters from the RoB lore but puts them in entirely random places with little relation to each other. Most characters have their own GBF-specific lore you can see in 'Fate Episodes' in game. Think of it as though Cygames sold the RoB IP to another company to develop but only passed on the art and not the lore writing.

(2) Bahamut is a lot of GBF, actually. He's the highest tier raid boss in several contexts for the game, and technically the 'final' boss for the story (always hinted, but we're not there yet).

(3) Yes, sort of, in GBF you can freely select Djeeta or Gran to play as your MC. They're different people, Djeeta is not Gran genderbend (though she is functionally). It's more like, the story is told with whoever you pick.

(4) Probably ... ? GBF/Cygames anime always makes a lot because you get the game income from new players as well as having GBF players buy the BluRays for GBF goodies.

I think GBF is playable worldwide. If it's a client problem, there should be a couple of ways you can install including web browser, desktop client, etc. Maybe one of them is JP region locked, but the rest sure aren't. Even if it's just http://game.granbluefantasy.jp/ for the web client.

I'm pretty sure Cy picked a lot of the characters based on how relevant they are to the 'core' characters. Like for example, the Human Pyramid dudes are completely irrelevant in GBF but they have like a lore interaction with Katalina, so they're in the pack. Same with people like Vira, with Katalina, or Pommern, who's an antagonist. Other randoms in GBF like Korwa or Siegfried only get picked if they're super popular.

Ask @Alexx55 for his impressions, I helped rope him into playing earlier.

1 hour ago, Unryuu said:

Random thread necro, but whatever.

(1) It's not. GBF borrows a lot of characters from the RoB lore but puts them in entirely random places with little relation to each other. Most characters have their own GBF-specific lore you can see in 'Fate Episodes' in game. Think of it as though Cygames sold the RoB IP to another company to develop but only passed on the art and not the lore writing.

(2) Bahamut is a lot of GBF, actually. He's the highest tier raid boss in several contexts for the game, and technically the 'final' boss for the story (always hinted, but we're not there yet).

(3) Yes, sort of, in GBF you can freely select Djeeta or Gran to play as your MC. They're different people, Djeeta is not Gran genderbend (though she is functionally). It's more like, the story is told with whoever you pick.

(4) Probably ... ? GBF/Cygames anime always makes a lot because you get the game income from new players as well as having GBF players buy the BluRays for GBF goodies.

I think GBF is playable worldwide. If it's a client problem, there should be a couple of ways you can install including web browser, desktop client, etc. Maybe one of them is JP region locked, but the rest sure aren't. Even if it's just http://game.granbluefantasy.jp/ for the web client.

I'm pretty sure Cy picked a lot of the characters based on how relevant they are to the 'core' characters. Like for example, the Human Pyramid dudes are completely irrelevant in GBF but they have like a lore interaction with Katalina, so they're in the pack. Same with people like Vira, with Katalina, or Pommern, who's an antagonist. Other randoms in GBF like Korwa or Siegfried only get picked if they're super popular.

Ask @Alexx55 for his impressions, I helped rope him into playing earlier.

Game is good, i play on the web client, its real fun, if you get into it, @Unryuu will be able to provide you with some useful info

The 1st rage of bahamut series was good if somewhat low budget, the 2nd rage of bahamut series had a much larger budget but was awful.  They seemed to not know where to go and were writing the story as it goes along, to a very unsatisfactory conclusion.