Sign in to follow this  
fangore

The anime thread

232 posts in this topic

Guess there are quite a few anime fans here, so a thread to discuss it would be nice.  I've watched anime made in the 70s all the way to the present.  I'm generally not a fan of fan service, particularly when it serves no purpose plot wise/character development wise.  I love anime that departs from the 'typical' anime style, and don't like chibi or moe really much at all.  I like all types but generally like anime that is really off the beaten path, atypical.  Most recent watched anime Attack on Titan season 2, and Berserk season 2.  Loved all the Jojo animes, can't wait for the next one.  Anime most looking forward to is Production IG's new Legend of Galactic Heroes series.  Anyways some of my favorite anime all time

-Legend of Galactic Heroes

-Angel's Egg

-Monster

-Laputa: Castle in the Sky

-Mushishi

-Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood

-Hellsing Ultimate

-Paranoia Agent

-Blood+

-Higurashi when they cry

-Elfen Lied

-Vampire Hunter D

-Ghost in the Shell

-Gankutsuou 

-Future Boy Conan

-Clannad

I could go on, but that is enough for now.  

Hmm, I haven't been in touch with Anime world in these last two years (almost). Say, is there anything hot lately? I've watched re:CREATORS and Kizumonogatari 2nd chapter for start. Oh, also Owarimonogatari (final). I heard about that-oreimo-reskin but enough is enough despite balance changes to waifu and patch update for 12-yo loli cap.

Anyway, I've been pretty behind on news update so..., yeah.

Attack on titan is really big.  I've also enjoyed the Magi series a lot but it is on break.  In the other thread people were talking about something into the abyss guess that is a big one as well.

Jojo is really a hot commodity in recent years.  I think psycho pass was also popular, the various fate series, and  I guess a lot of people are excited about a 3rd Code geass season coming soon? 

Well , talking bout anime . It will be a big event later at 2018 . So many new seasons great anime will comig but i cant w8 for one punch man , hero academy , and code geass 

2 hours ago, fangore said:

Attack on titan is really big.  I've also enjoyed the Magi series a lot but it is on break.  In the other thread people were talking about something into the abyss guess that is a big one as well.

Jojo is really a hot commodity in recent years.  I think psycho pass was also popular, the various fate series, and  I guess a lot of people are excited about a 3rd Code geass season coming soon? 

Huh? Were you talking about "Made in Abyss"?

I'm not really interested in Jojo beside parody. 3rd Code Geass eh? Is that setting up after the movie series or after R2 series?

I'm really interested in the upcoming Violet Evergarden. The teaser trailers are gorgeous, and it's showing lots of signs that it will be one hell of a feels trip.

Casual anime fan here.

Obviously I like Gundam :D (if you haven't noticed). I've watched SEED, SEED Destiny, Age, 00, IBO, 08th MS Team, Wing, and G Gundam . . . I think that's all of them, might have missed one or two.

Just finished Boku no Hero Academia, that was cool.

Gurren Lagann was amazing, watched that years ago and probably should rewatch it sometime. 

DBZ back in the day.

Big O was weird.

Robotech, that was one of my first loves. 

Code Geass was pretty cool. I think it's one of the most well-written shows I've ever seen, really liked how the plots and plans of protagonists and antagonists evolved organically and shifted in response to each other.

Eh, I know I'm missing some but it's a good list to start. Not really sure what to watch next. Been debating about watching Dragon Ball Super but it's like 100 episodes in and I don't really binge watch anime as I just lack the time. 

4 hours ago, Alexx55 said:

Not fan of fanservice, then you wont enjoy No Game No Life(still waiting for season 2)

Makes me think of Highschool of the Dead. I still remember in one of the early episodes, the characters are watching this dramatic news report about all the terrible stuff happening and zombies and what-not, and the camera is doing a prominent upskirt of the heroine. Just like . . . what? I mean, it completely undercuts all the drama the moment is trying to set up. 

9 hours ago, Trimmage said:

Huh? Were you talking about "Made in Abyss"?

I'm not really interested in Jojo beside parody. 3rd Code Geass eh? Is that setting up after the movie series or after R2 series?

Yeah made in abyss that's it. Great reviews sounds up my alley too so will check this out eventually.

R3 will be a sequel to R2. The movies are simply a retelling of R1 and R2

Considering Shadowverse has the stereotype that only weebs play it instead of hearthstone I am surprised a thread like this didnt exist already.....

Anyway for my tastes in anime, I typically prefer shows with darker themes or a focus on politics/warfare however I am willing to give just about anything a shot. The only type of show I typically dislike are the ones that rely heavily on fanservice ESPECIALLY when it gets in the way of whatever garbage story they are trying to tell. 

Currently I am watching fate apocrypha and suffering the whole time because IT IS FRIGGEN AWFUL but I am too far in to back out. Will be starting ancient magus bride once this train wreck is finally over....

Fate/Apocrypha has an interesting concept, but bad presentation and a shift in which the Holy Grail War (you know, the WHOLE POINT of the Fate series) is sidelined for a standard 'a man without any capability to feel goes on a journey to understand the concept of human feelings'. I don't know about you, but that's kind of a waste; I really like the idea of two sides fighting for one grail, but dammit, don't ruin it with that kind of plot.

I'm watching F/A entirely for the Saber of Red ship, with whoever (don't specifically care so long as I'm able to see more of Mordred-chan). Aside from that, as someone who read some of the LN, I'm sort of intrigued by the differences between the descriptions of Karna, Jeanne, and Achilles from the show.

Edited by Unryuu

12 hours ago, Chappie said:

Anyway for my tastes in anime, I typically prefer shows with darker themes or a focus on politics/warfare

Explains the Tanya the Evil avatar . . . ^_^

Honestly one of the strangest shows I've ever seen but also really, surprisingly good. Balanced drama and politics with just the right touch of humor and the fight scenes were fun. Left me questioning whether or not I even want to root for Tanya, but I think that was kind of the point. I hope they make a second season. 

How many battle scenes are there in Code Geas? I've watched first few episodes from the first season, and I cannot stand the naivity and childishness of how the show depicts battlefield. If there aren't much battle scenes I might give the show another try.

16 hours ago, Caster said:

Fate/Apocrypha has an interesting concept, but bad presentation and a shift in which the Holy Grail War (you know, the WHOLE POINT of the Fate series) is sidelined for a standard 'a man without any capability to feel goes on a journey to understand the concept of human feelings'. I don't know about you, but that's kind of a waste; I really like the idea of two sides fighting for one grail, but dammit, don't ruin it with that kind of plot.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly. Its an excellent concept but the execution has been hilariously bad to the point where even the decently animated battle scenes just do not salvage it. From what i can see, people pretty much just watch it for Mordred. Honestly I am baffled by how they could manage to make a team based holy grail war so damn boring. 

12 hours ago, cypherhalo said:

Explains the Tanya the Evil avatar . . . ^_^

Honestly one of the strangest shows I've ever seen but also really, surprisingly good. Balanced drama and politics with just the right touch of humor and the fight scenes were fun. Left me questioning whether or not I even want to root for Tanya, but I think that was kind of the point. I hope they make a second season. 

Yeah I absolutely adore Tanya, she is among my all time favorite characters in fiction. <3

As for the show, while I believe the manga and LN are strictly better the show was still fairly good. (except the first ep which was meh) My biggest problems with the show were the alterations they made to the story (like adding flight gear when everyone could already fly with magic) and the reduction of Tanya's inner monologues which are crucial to fully understanding her character (this is a common problem with LN adaptations so i forgive this)  

We probably will get a second season since it was a breakout hit for that new anime studio but I am pretty sure it wont be for a bit since they likely want to branch out into other projects. 

10 hours ago, Big Band said:

How many battle scenes are there in Code Geas? I've watched first few episodes from the first season, and I cannot stand the naivity and childishness of how the show depicts battlefield. If there aren't much battle scenes I might give the show another try.

The first few episodes are apparently the "bad ones" from what I hear and the show picks up later on. Cant confirm since I never finished the first season though....

Yeah, we pretty much tolerated it for Mordred, the cutest knight in the universe. She's also very popular in FGO, which may have helped in salvaging something from fans.

At this point, I'd ask TYPE-MOON to bring us animated Strange Fake already. Not only the Holy Grail War is brought back as a central focus, the execution is INSANE, and brings to life Servant concepts that fans has been dreaming for YEARS.

2 hours ago, Chappie said:

As for the show, while I believe the manga and LN are strictly better the show was still fairly good. (except the first ep which was meh)

The first episode just didn't work because it didn't reveal all the really interesting stuff about the central conflict and the unique twist to Tanya's personality. I'll avoid spoilers and leave it at that. So yeah, the first episode definitely was a bust. I think I see what they were going for as far as trying to introduce Tanya through another pair of eyes but it just didn't work especially when there is a lot of weird but important and interesting stuff wrapped up in "her" origins. 

I had no idea there wasn't flight gear in the manga/LN. I have to say, it looked really cool though and I liked how each country had their own version of flight gear. Is the crystal thing purely a show invention then? I mean, that was pretty plot critical. 

2 minutes ago, cypherhalo said:

The first episode just didn't work because it didn't reveal all the really interesting stuff about the central conflict and the unique twist to Tanya's personality. I'll avoid spoilers and leave it at that. So yeah, the first episode definitely was a bust. I think I see what they were going for as far as trying to introduce Tanya through another pair of eyes but it just didn't work especially when there is a lot of weird but important and interesting stuff wrapped up in "her" origins. 

I had no idea there wasn't flight gear in the manga/LN. I have to say, it looked really cool though and I liked how each country had their own version of flight gear. Is the crystal thing purely a show invention then? I mean, that was pretty plot critical. 

The first episode also struggled with pacing as it was mostly random battle scenes but with no build up or context it was really tough to care. It really was a mess all around but yeah, its easy to see what they were TRYING to do with it but thankfully the rest of the show didnt have any of these issues. 

The crystals (operation orbs) are cannon in the manga/LN and are basically the substitute for wands. They briefly mention this somewhere but basically wands/brooms got phased out over time and these are the most up to date method of amplifying and channeling people's magic. 

And while I didnt hate the concept of flight gear (except the skis, those were dumb) I just dislike needless alterations to the story which I am sure you can understand. 

I've watched both seasons of Code Geass, yes battles are a big part of it.  Though it is also plot heavy and dramatic.  I mean it is war after all.  

I've watched Fate zero, Fate stay night, and Fate unlimited blade works.  Fun but not great anime.  Well fate zero was the best, unlimited blade works had my favorite hero (Caster, won't spoil real identity).  

2 minutes ago, Chappie said:

The first episode also struggled with pacing as it was mostly random battle scenes but with no build up or context it was really tough to care. It really was a mess all around but yeah, its easy to see what they were TRYING to do with it but thankfully the rest of the show didnt have any of these issues. 

The crystals (operation orbs) are cannon in the manga/LN and are basically the substitute for wands. They briefly mention this somewhere but basically wands/brooms got phased out over time and these are the most up to date method of amplifying and channeling people's magic. 

And while I didnt hate the concept of flight gear (except the skis, those were dumb) I just dislike needless alterations to the story which I am sure you can understand. 

Ah totally. I know it's not anime but my wife and I sat down and watched all the Harry Potter movies recently. Some of the changes I can understand given that film is just a completely different medium from books so obviously not all things translate over. Other changes though just didn't make a lick of sense. I watched the movies before reading the books and Dobby's death just did not work on film because he disappeared after the 2nd movie. Come to find out, he's in nearly all the freaking books, in the books that moment works really well and pulls on your heartstrings! 

Anyway, the flight gear was cool, I think I would give it a pass even if I had read the manga. Also, the doctor dude was hilarious. xD Poor Tanya. 

4 minutes ago, fangore said:

I've watched both seasons of Code Geass, yes battles are a big part of it.  Though it is also plot heavy and dramatic.  I mean it is war after all.  

I've watched Fate zero, Fate stay night, and Fate unlimited blade works.  Fun but not great anime.  Well fate zero was the best, unlimited blade works had my favorite hero (Caster, won't spoil real identity).  

Just want to ask; are you overwhelmed by the Fate series' reliance on using inside jargon that has little to no explanation (Alaya, Counter Guardian, [   ], Servant, etc) in the animated format? You see, I'm a longtime fan of the franchise, and that was a critic of the series that I heard once. Legitimate, too; even after 10 years, those concepts eluded me most of the time.

Edited by Caster

1 minute ago, Caster said:

Just want to ask; are you overwhelmed by the Fate series' reliance on using inside jargon that has little to no explanation (Alaya, Counter Guardian, [   ], Servant, etc) in the animated format? You see, I'm a longtime fan of the franchise, and that was a critic of the series that I heard once. Legitimate, too; even after 10 years, those concepts eluded me most of the time.

Not really, I didn't have any trouble understanding what is going on.  I just felt, yeah a holy grail war is cool, however there wasn't as much depth to the story as there could have been.  I love mythological/historical heroes and all too, but some got a ton of time and support in the story and some got hardly any at all, you just see them battle and get defeated.  However as a longtime fan of the series, would you say the anime adaptations do it justice?   

I really liked Fate/Zero.  On my list of things to watch again.

I cannot stand to re-watch any of the others though.  If I had to give a recommendation I would tell someone to watch Fate/Zero and skip the others.