Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imperial Dane

Starforged Legends Tempo Token Sword.

9 posts in this topic

Right then. Here is the decklist :

Token Tempo Sword

My Primary Sword Deck for Starforged Legends. A tempo deck centered around tokens and smaller commander/officer synergies that actually matter. Basically you fill up the board while trying to trade as efficiently as possible and then throw down an Enraged general or sage commander to make for a larger tempo swing your opponent can't ignore.

Walfrid is out since in the current environment he is not going to be useful, PDK kills you before that and Aggro sword it won't be relevant against and i think that applies to a lot of the other decks as well. So Walfrid is out. 

1 Drops

I run 3 perseus since he is a good one drop that opens up for some Centaur Vanguard synergies and Fervid Soldier synergies plus evolved he synergizes well with a large board for a +3 attack bonus when evolved rather than +2 and gains ward meaning he fits well with what the deck wants to do.

2 Drops

Vanguard is there for more chance to play stuff on turn 1 or just fill out your curve so you can contest aggro better but also have a better chance of playing Enraged general at turn 4.

Oathless Knight is there because you want a token generator and he is an efficient one.

Fearless Banneret is there for the additional Token generation and synergies with Mars setting up for potentially more akward trades for your opponent.

Fervid soldier is there for all the Commander synergies, can for example with Round Table Assembly gain a +2 attack bonus that turn. Also serves as a good way to draw out removals before playing down mars.

Centaur Vanguard is there because you need the burst against some decks.

And a few whole-souled swings for removal that also generates tokens.

3 Drops

Similarly Juliet is there over Romeo because you need the burst, other synergizes well with Mars, Centaur Vanguard, Fervid Soldier and obviously Round Table Assembly. Overall a very flexible piece in the deck that gives you options when you need them and potentially a finisher.

Mars is there because you are running tokens in this deck and she works wonders with them making them more resilient and rewarding you for trading, works great with any tokens plus is a pseudo-ward. But generally most aggro decks ignore her and you punish them for that. But works well with pretty much anything in the deck.

4 Drops

Floral Fencer is there as a good turn 4 play going second, especially with Mars becoming a 5/6 that generates a 3/3 and a 2/2. And even un-evolved is a 4/5. So you run 3 of it because it's just worth it. Even going first if you get down a Mars on turn 3.

Courageous Knight i run because i want more slightly bigger tokens and he is pretty good value being 2 2/2s which combined with mars becomes essentially 2 3/3s. Also a bit harder to clear and thusly helps set up for enraged general.

5 Drops

Council of Card Knights is run because it's currently the best 5 drop token generator in this environment even if it does not synergize with Mars it helps build up a big board that is difficult for Dragon to remove and can help slow down aggro, is also good vs forest. Thusly i run it.

Round Table Assembly . I run it because it gives me another chance of pulling Mars or Juliet or Both and if it pulls off Juliets i might even have a finisher there that can allow me to burst out potentially 6 damage. Or allows me to get out an extra mars or two which helps make my board a lot harder to deal with. Plus it just makes Fervid Soldier very nasty.

6 Drops

Sage Commander is there because he is probably the best way of taking advantage of a large board that isn't Walfrid by buffing the entire thing giving more damage but also making it harder to remove plus he is tough himself and thusly can help soak up damage from PDK.

8 Drops

And finally the big guy himself. Enraged general. Another way of making a large tempo swing in the current environment, can allow you to turn the game agressively on aggro or on PDK or for that matter a lot of other decks by presenting a big threat out of nowhere, becomes more viable thanks to Mars that allows your tokens to stick more.

Overall the deck performs reasonably well in the meta, can challenge PDK and Aggro Sword plus other decks though it doesn't hands down beat them either. But it generally does well enough going either first or second in my opinion and generally i have plenty of fun with it as i have a reasonably set of choices and options in many cases while playing against other decks.

1 person likes this

Currently trying out bladed Hedgehogs instead of Fervid Soldier to help vs some of the aggro decks but also vs the PDK decks as it does help maintain tempo as you trade with them.

Sometimes i do swear the match-making is rigged, as soon as i tech in stuff to slightly improve my matchup vs Aggro sword, i stop encountering it entirely. Plus i start running into Dragon decks and what not that just curve out perfectly while having all the answers.. *sigh.

So revving up the aggro engine elements to help with that plus sneaking in some cards that should help make things a bit more.. survivable.

Decklist.

Fervid soldier is out in Favour of Fearless Banneret for more tokens and more awkward trades and dropped one Whole-souled swing so i could add in 2 princess vanguards for buffs but also triggering commander synergies. 3 Centaur vanguards end up staying.

I also remove the 2 Round Table Assemblies in Favour of Tristan who is just really hard to remove for Dragon and some of the other removal heavy decks.

I really question the use of Enraged General. Sure Mars makes your tokens more durable, so his discount is more consistent. But wouldn't a card like Alwida's Command fit the theme of the deck more and provide additional burst? 

29 minutes ago, BlackRazor said:

I really question the use of Enraged General. Sure Mars makes your tokens more durable, so his discount is more consistent. But wouldn't a card like Alwida's Command fit the theme of the deck more and provide additional burst? 

You need something to do with all the tokens, Enraged general is your best bet, otherwise you're just generating a lot of tokens.. with not much to do. It's one of Swordcraft's bigger issues atm actually. It can generate a lot of tokens, but it has very few options for them.

Secondly vs the main matchup, PDK Dragon. You really want to push some kind of edge FAST, and Enraged general is a better bet in that sense. Like pulling off a Turn 4 atomy, but without nuking your own board :P But getting a slightly smaller Atomy in Return.

Currently i've taken out most of the burst to focus on tokens and doing "more" with them, ie sneaking in more things that just buffs them. In this case Assault Commander and switched out some other bits here and there. But sticking to Enraged general since he is very much one of your best ways of solidly out-tempoing PDK in the early game if you actually get the chance, which is the tricky bit admittedly. Plus vs Aggro sword he can allow you to suddenly turn the tables on them.

Will quickbladers work as substitute for the Persiai or is that 1-drop commander key for the deck to function?

2 minutes ago, Xulin said:

Will quickbladers work as substitute for the Persiai or is that 1-drop commander key for the deck to function?

Would imagine so, but then it’d lower how soon and effect centaur vanguard can be. It’s not a big deal but it’s something that needs considering. 

2 hours ago, Xulin said:

Well Quickblader can work though it doesn't do the same thing obviously. Perseus is nice because he is another 1/2 plus his evo ability in conjunction with a large board is handy. But you can replace him with Quickbladers if Perseus is too pricey for you

Anyways been changing up the deck a bit and here is the latest version :

Decklist

Overall changes are the removal of Juliet and Centaur Vanguard along with Round Table assembly going out the window.

Instead got Fervid Soldiers, Lux Solar Lancers, Ascetic Knights and Assault Commanders.

Going more in on the tokens and the ability to buff them up for increased offensive action vs the vile draconic foe. Lux is there to help increase the chances of drawing stuff to buff plus if you have to play it at 4pp you are very likely get an enraged general. But overall leads to being more likely to actually draw Mars, or any of the other buffs thusly leading to more consistent board buffing and thusly a chance at racing down those Dragon Bastards.

Since basically i found that i needed to either get lucky or draw all the storm or if i got a weird mix of things then the deck tended to struggle a bit, so i rather went all in on the tokens and buffing them making use of Perseus and Mars for a few extra niceties as well along with Lux Solar lancer which does provide a bit of card draw at times and thusly keeps things a bit more smooth.

So far a decent winrate though i haven't had time to test it out a lot but managed a 4 win-streak when i tested it out.

Why Assault Commander ? Well he is a turn 5 buff that has a 4/4 stat line which makes him reasonably attractive in that sense since he is a threat on his own especially with a buffed board and thusly can allow you to race down the enemy further.