Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tintehfiend

Meme of Obliteration

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, when I opened my beginner packs I was lucky enough to get a heap of legendaries. From my starforged I got not one, but TWO Mail of Obliteration. I know it's a bad card. High cost, low health, and it needs a grindy game to be of any use, but I had to meme it after making an actual competetive Mid-Shadow deck.

So here it is, a feeder for most other decks in casual:

wuvlXLC.pngaNc4tJR.png

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Edit:

Out:

-3 Mystic ring

-3 Spartoi Soldier

-2 Meme of Obliteration ( T_T)

In:

+1 Pact with the Nether God

+3 Staircase to Paradise

+2 Foul Tempest

+2 Grimnir

It's actually shaping up to be a control deck that bullies Dragon pretty hard. I just beat full DPK in attrition.

-DPK + Mathilda+ Lizard

Foul Tempest + Resentment + Usher (retrieved Khaewy): Full clear

-DPK + Mathilda + Phoenix

Khaewy + 2 staircase

Second DPK + Lizard

Bahamut

-Cycles cards

Smack

-Dark Dragoon + Firstborn: Hits Face

Grimnir

-Concede

tzQgl2K.pngDHqvhGG.png

Edited by Tintehfiend

The issue when it comes to Mail isn’t its health, it’s that it’s slow, and designed around powering up, but lacks the same effect as Beauty and the Beast, or Hero of Antiquity, so you spend all that time powering it up, but then it just gets hard removed since it just sits there, so you may as well play Eachtar for immediate results, or if you spend that long gathering shadows, play a Tyrant, still though, good on you for trying a deck for it, trust some of us could help refine it in some way likely to be @Unryuu he plays too much shadow so should know what he’s talking about,or @Morrigan who’s literal queen of meme. 

I saw it working in atomeme list.

You just pick list from this expantion and slam in 2 of. Automeme shinanigans sucks removals, and you can almost guaranty that your ∞/7 survive a turn.

Funny but Atomeme with tyrants is legit tier 2 deck know xD

Posted (edited)

@zzMedVeDzz @Othello

I don't see the point in playing Mail, to be honest. Don't mean to be a killjoy, just wanted to write up my observations.

First of all, I run a super restricted 4+ curve in my Atomy Tyrant Shadow to ensure that my deck remains liquid at any point in the match ... that is, I can be playing several cards a turn, and drawing a few cards, to reach 20 shadows by Turn 8. I don't count on Gloaming Tombs, since that's a chance draw. My experience in Masters (ranked!) with Tyrant is that you can expect to entirely lose board by Turn 7, usually. That means you have precisely a 1 turn opening, before your opponent wards, to smash in their face with a Tyrant OTK. The extra turn of stall, which isn't also really stall because they can play Temple Defender + Tribunal to ward up, is not worth the risk that Mail costs you the match by sitting in your hand at Turn 1.

That's also why Mail is strictly worse than Atomy. Because Atomy can be in your hand on Turn 1, and be cheated out on Turn 3 via various methods like Haunted House or Chimera. Mail has to stay until Turn 7, as a card you can't even interact with or mill with Conversion. Atomy also produces a mound of shadows every time he drops for your Tyrant, which is superb utility if you have a board locked up by Corpses or Attendants you can't activate. Mail just leaves it more locked up, with a non-ward as well.

If I had the time to drop any option on Turn 7, I'd choose to play Dark Alice, or Nephthys on 8. Both are categorically better ... even if Nep only pulls a Morde, that's usually a ~80% win for you, and if Dark Alice drops, you have (usually) instant access to Test, plus Prince of Darkness in a few turns. I'd rather run x 3 Atomy copies, and call it a day. I just don't think a match should last that many turns, especially in a meta where even the non-combo control decks have to find effective, quick ways to set up lethal because of the fast environment. It's not a guarantee to soak up removal, wait for 20 followers to die, and pray for no Tribunal ... particularly since 20 shadows means that you could have used a full Tyrant already. I know that Mail doesn't consume the shadows, but if I wanted that I'd revert to my old Minthe build for the deck, or Haunt.

The idea is that there is so much pressure, and so much storm currently, that even Nep can't stall more than a few turns even with a Khawy, Death's Breath, or Test on the Morde. I usually have to win between Turn 8 and Turn 12, because any further and I risk all sorts of finishers or answers, like Emerelda, Odin, Lily, Oz + Mutagenic, Wolf Bolt, etc.

Despite all that, though, I would have wanted to see Mail work. I have a copy, pulled it today, so I'll continue with my trials ... and let you all know.

Edited by Unryuu
1 person likes this

I'm maining Manasurge's Mid-shadow for ranked at the moment, so this is purely for kicks because I had the cards.

I'm just sad that Shadow is almost a dedicated Mid-Range class, as Atomy is liably the only aggressive route I can see with the tools available, and D-shift shuts grindy decks out of ladder.

I have Tyrants so my next set of crafts will be Atomy, for right now the only thing I'm playing on ladder is Mid-shadow (curve tops at 7 with 3xThane+3xEachtor). Depending on how the monthly nerfs I keep hearing about go, I might craft what I'm missing for a Nephtys Deck(No Mordecais, only 1 Nep)

The game plan for the Meme of Obliteration is to answer the board as much as possible, drop Baha on 10, and drop Mr.Clanks the turn after so they're forced to deal with two big dummies. If they are able to build a board AND knock out the threats, they get nuked again and again until they have nothing to play. That's why there's only 2 Bahas in the list, but 3 in my hand for the SS, Usher recycles Baha, but more importantly keeps bringing back Khawei until I can drop Baha. That poor dragon player got nuked three times. It'll obviously never work against D-shift or Aegis, but Ceres and Bladefie...I mean Saber, work wonders against Aggro.

It's like Deepwood Anomaly.  If you play a big dude that does nothing on turn 7+ with no way to protect it, and it lives to attack the opponent's face, then you've won the game anyways.  This could be a Cursed Soldier.  The cursed soldier is actually probably better in most decks.

Posted (edited)

Yea, I figured it out and put an addend on what the deck has actually turned into.

If Mail was in the 6 slot (with 1 less health) it would be a possibility. The only real competetors for the 6 slot are death's breath and Deathly tyrant, as midrange and control tend to use that turn to shuffle resources around to either ruin the enemy win condition, or set the table for their own win condition. Throwing him down on 6, even as a 7/6 unevolved would bait some unfavorable trades or hard removal before your Eachtor/Thane turn.

I might get around to trying it again when I have a few atomy, as it was said earlier,  the mindset when people see Atomy is "that needs to go or Ima  get rekt".

The way I've taken to Mail is that he's a 7/7/7, and since most lists for shadow are responding to threats, they need Eachtor or Thane to seal the deal after a board centered early game. Atomy however, is the board, and the other player has to react to him, so a big dumb beat stick might fir better there.

Edited by Tintehfiend

I pulled one.  The thought I had was zodiac burn.  Play an aggressive shadow game until they clear the board.  Usually that means they have nothing as well.  Drop zodiac and put the lights out in one shot.

Very janky, but that does seem like a possibility at least.  Tyrant is more efficient and so is dark alice.

6 hours ago, jpants said:

I pulled one.  The thought I had was zodiac burn.  Play an aggressive shadow game until they clear the board.  Usually that means they have nothing as well.  Drop zodiac and put the lights out in one shot.

Very janky, but that does seem like a possibility at least.  Tyrant is more efficient and so is dark alice.

You can't do that because Mail of Obliteration gains attack on fanfare and pulling cards out with Zodiac Demon doesn't trigger fanfares.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Aru're said:

You can't do that because Mail of Obliteration gains attack on fanfare and pulling cards out with Zodiac Demon doesn't trigger fanfares.

sad panda

16 hours ago, jpants said:

sad panda

If you really wanted to try that type of strategy of an aggressive early game with Zodiac combo for a finisher you could look at Bloodcraft and Dragoncraft for inspiration.

The highest attack you can get on valid ammo for Zodiac Demon outside of Prince of Darkness tokens are Frenzied Juggernaut and Gigas.

Playing Vengeance Blood with a backend of Frenzied Juggernaut and Zodiac Demon could be rather effective, which can be especially effective since Bloodcraft also has access to several efficient 6-attack followers that are mildly usable in Vengeance Blood like Soul Dealer and Beast Dominator. In addition, you get quite a bit of card draw from Belphegor, giving you your Zodiac Demon and Frenzied Juggernaut with some consistency.

Dragoncraft has the potential to ramp into Zodiac Demon and hit the opponent hard with Gigas. It could be rather effective in a Prime Dragon Keeper deck since that deck finds it easy to clear the board in the midgame and makes it rather hard for the opponent to clear the board in full without destroying their own followers as well.

Still waiting for the day when Artillery Sword is viable, and I have the chance to play Zodiac + Support Cannon for 105 mm Howitzer shells direct from Erika's 14th Armored Cav.

"Range, ok! Velocity, ok! Battleship Kongou ... burning love! "

swordcraft-support-cannon-1489365724311_

1 person likes this