Elliot Gale

Comprehensive Guide: All You Need to Know About Take Two (WIP)

32 posts in this topic

Yeah, yeah, I've been slacking on the Dawnbreak, Nightedge update, in part because I wanted to take the time to do in depth research but couldn't quite do so for a couple of weeks.

Classes now appear to line up like this:

1) Dragon, Haven

2) Sword, Portal

3) Forest, Blood

4) Rune, Shadow

It's interesting to note that the gap between tier 1 and 2 is much smaller than it was for CG; all 4 classes are very good due to oozing value and having cards that inevitably push for game or otherwise prevent stalemates. The main distinction is that you can expect Dragon and Haven to very consistently do their unfair things, while Sword and Portal are slightly more prone to run out of gas on account of their main offenders being in higher rarity brackets.

The tier 3 classes perform well in shorter games and are good at creating favorable trades. They don't, however, possess their own innate infinite value cards, so you can expect them to come up short when opponents get the chance to use theirs.

Tier 4 feels significantly better to play than it used to; you don't want to pick one of these classes if you're in to turn profits, but they have plenty of cheesy interactions that can steal games if you're not familiar with their card pool.

Neutrals are much less overbearing than they used to be, with the exception of a new addition in Moon and Sun. Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi run away with games very easily if they're not banished, transformed, or silenced, and they're a major reason behind why Tier 1 and 2 look this way.

2 hours ago, Elliot Gale said:

Yeah, yeah, I've been slacking on the Dawnbreak, Nightedge update, in part because I wanted to take the time to do in depth research but couldn't quite do so for a couple of weeks.

Classes now appear to line up like this:

1) Dragon, Haven

2) Sword, Portal

3) Forest, Blood

4) Rune, Shadow

It's interesting to note that the gap between tier 1 and 2 is much smaller than it was for CG; all 4 classes are very good due to oozing value and having cards that inevitably push for game or otherwise prevent stalemates. The main distinction is that you can expect Dragon and Haven to very consistently do their unfair things, while Sword and Portal are slightly more prone to run out of gas on account of their main offenders being in higher rarity brackets.

The tier 3 classes perform well in shorter games and are good at creating favorable trades. They don't, however, possess their own innate infinite value cards, so you can expect them to come up short when opponents get the chance to use theirs.

Tier 4 feels significantly better to play than it used to; you don't want to pick one of these classes if you're in to turn profits, but they have plenty of cheesy interactions that can steal games if you're not familiar with their card pool.

Neutrals are much less overbearing than they used to be, with the exception of a new addition in Moon and Sun. Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi run away with games very easily if they're not banished, transformed, or silenced, and they're a major reason behind why Tier 1 and 2 look this way.

I haven't played much Take 2 this expansion, so I can't comment on the tier list itself, but Moon and Sun turns this tier list on its head. Every deck is tier 1 if it has a Moon and Sun in it regardless of the class, possibly closer to tier 0 due to the power level of this card. It's possible to play up Haven and Portal as counters, but they aren't guaranteed to have banishment on a regular basis despite being the two classes that have the most banishment since it's realistically 1 banish card that they have for it (in Blackened Scripture and Substitution, respectively, since other banishment tools are far too expensive to deal with a 3pp card) and they have the challenge of drafting that card and knowing if they can play around a legendary card in any particular game.

Yes, I very much agree. Moon and Sun is a major problem card that ought to be banned, as it dramatically affects match outcomes across the board unless neutralized immediately. But it's not as though I'm saying Haven and Portal are top tier classes exclusively because they can out it; they're strong in their own right with the banish being a cherry on top. It's more that Tiers 3 and 4 are worse than they could be due to not having native answers to Moon and Sun in addition to other major value cards. I also don't believe Moon and Sun is strong to a point of giving those classes a realistic fighting chance against solid drafts from Tiers 1 and 2, particularly Dragon, who doesn't even have a native banish, just gross amounts of inevitability and do-everything cards.

Failed to mention it above, but everyone should be placing very high priority on Paradise Vanguard regardless of class and strategy, as he has no downsides and could very well save your life against Moon and Sun.

@Elliot Gale Curious if your thoughts on DBNE Take Two class tiers is still the same almost two months into the expansion. Personally, I haven't played an immense amount of Take Two during this meta (probably around 20 to 25 runs), but I feel like for a skilled player (it is one of the harder classes to draft), Portal is in its own tier (the bronze 2 drop which generates the 7 mana 5/5 which is a underpowered Mordecai is insane) with a moderate gap to Haven (drafting as many Holy Lion related cards has been great at putting immense pressure on my opponents, it's basically a win condition by itself), and then a small gap to every other class except Shadow and Rune and those last two classes being very underpowered right now.

I don't really like labeling a class as being head and shoulders over the other unless it's consistently so, to a point where even a monkey could crank out 5-0s. Portal no doubt has all sorts of disgusting cards, but there are still many underwhelming to outright bad picks you can be shoehorned into taking, and the class isn't the greatest at going tempo positive for as good as it is at neutralizing boards.

One could definitely make a case for Dragon not being too oppressive, though I still believe it has the most consistently good card quality across the board.

And yeah, I've seen little reason to believe that Shadow and Rune are anything but gutter trash at the moment.

@Elliot Gale Yeah, I haven't had enough experience with Dragon to be very confident about its power level. My rankings are purely off the fact that I have a much easier time getting high win percentage with Portal than any other class and Haven has also seemed really unfair with Holy Lion inevitability (really good against the slower classes).

Edited by Adubs
grammar

Tweaked some ratings, updated the basic card lists for each class to reflect what they will contain post-patch (ie. Portal goes down to 3 like everyone else while some other classes trade a card for a different card), and I am preparing to add Dawnbreak and Brigade.

It would appear that there are no longer any banned cards... although I suppose to be fair, all the banned cards were from Wonderland and earlier, and thus will no longer be present. :v