Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Dane

Wonderland Dreams Midrange Token Sword.

109 posts in this topic

Eh no worries, i always love feedback and have already made a lot of changes to my deck since last.

Basically i added up to 3 Bladed Hedgehogs instead of Gelt, removed the palace fencers and put in 2 fearless bannerets because A) I like them, the art is awesome and i like their mechanic and B) Synergizes with the addition of Luminous mage

I took out Council of Card Knights since i figured that Monika was actually the better tempo play in several cases and so preferred her over that. The reason i went for Luminous mage instead is for the simple reason.. I don't encounter a lot of neutral decks ! I barely see them, most of the time i run into some control deck thing or some aggro deck. But i rarely if ever run into a Neutral deck. So i needed something that could grant me an offensive boost on turn 5. Options were either Percival, Assault Commander, Wind God or Luminous Mage. And Percival and Assault Commander both have the same drawback, they only work with Officers which can limit a bit what they can do, and Luminous mage is basically a Wind God that can do a bit more so i popped in 3 luminous Magi instead.

Replaced Sage Commander with Alwida's since versus the more control heavy meta, you just need the extra punch. Plus extra wards do not hurt. And in the end i took out 2 enraged generals and 1 Stratagem, left 1 enraged general but added in 2 walfrids as an extra finisher at the end. Had a lot of success with him back in the last month of the ToTG meta actually. If you can get the board to stick to turn 8 and buff with him, you win.

Slightly pondering, just for the hell of it. But replacing Luminous mage with Tristan, since i run so many Commanders that i figure triggering him should not be impossible, and well if you can. He is 6/8 worth of stats that is resistant to a lot of removal. Granted it will probably be a lot more viable with Perseus included, but i do remember back in ToTG actually making him slightly.. usable. Wasn't always, but generally when you could get him to go off, he was pretty solid in terms of value.

So tempted to do it, would certainly help a bit vs the control matchups i think.

Now sporting an 8 match winrate with the deck, having dealt with aggro decks, vengeance decks, neutral haven control (Was i ever confused when suddenly neutral haven themised the entire board), other neutral decks as long as i draw decently and they do not draw the god hand and even ramp dragon.

Overall the deck has a pretty solid performance with Fencer and Monika being some of the key cards as they allow for some agressive trading and thus tempo gain against my opponent. Luminous mage is also helpful at times either for pushing damage or maybe just stalling until i can get my hands on Monika

Also fun is that Bladed hedgehog and monika are a neat combo since monika can allow it to grow big fast. I've had 2 8 attack hedgehogs (un-evolved) thanks to that :P Usually against opponents that refused to trade into it and hoped i would trade it back. So with monika i was able to punish their greed.

But Monika is probably one of the cards that really allows this deck to work as she can make for some impressive trades and board control with that evo effect of hers, and even when you run out of them, she is still a 5/5 on board for 5pp.

So overall liking this deck and i do think i can hit Grandmaster with it before the month ends.

Make that a 10 match winstreak 

Decklist.

Removed the last enraged general for a third walfrid just to increase my chances of having him as a finisher.

The deck besides for some occasional unfortunate loss streaks is performing very solidly and consistently. Beating aggro, neutral, most midrange and some ramp decks too. 

20170916182333_1.jpg

So i have made some changes to my deck as i currently feel the metagame where i currently am is changing noticably.

More specifically, i am not seeing many if any neutral decks at the moment. The vast majority of decks i am encountering are Ramp Dragon, D-shift, control haven of some sort and aggro sword of varying versions. In other words, i am seeing all the decks surrounding the neutral decks for some reason. And in those cases my tempo deck is .. too slow. So i have pushed the tempo harder in the deck to be more agressive, especially vs ramp dragon.. One of my more hated matchups since it feels so much like a goddamn coinflip.

Decklist

Basically replaced the Bladed Hedgehogs for Palace Fencers for that extra push early on opening up for more damage faster. Replaced Pompous Princess with Ascetic Knights for more targets to buff because i also switched out Luminous Knight with Assault Commander. Why this change ? Well Luminous mage is great for value, but the buff it gives the board is temporary. Assault Commander is permanent and is a 4/4 that can evolve into a 6/6 so he has a few options there as well and can therefor push harder.

I also took out floral fencer and replaced with Courageous Knight since that just generates more tempo without evolving and thusly is more useful going first and also that way gives more targets for the assault commander to buff. 

Depending on how things go i will probably add in some Centaur lancers if need be. But seeing as i for the last few days have largely run into decks either preying on neutral decks or the decks surrounding them i think i need to slightly change things up to be a bit more agressive vs them.

I've tried your token sword deck but I'm having no luck with it.

I feel like I'm bricking every single game with no 1 drops and multiple 5 or greater cost cards in my hand. The other big problem is that it feels impossible to preserve any kind of a board, as all of my mans get killed off every single turn.

If you are bricking every single game then you need to look into your mulligans as unless you are having terrible luck, that should not be possible. Similarly if you can't preserve any kind of board, i can't help but get the impression you are either incredibly unlucky or doing something wrong.

When you're tossing assault commanders into assault commanders in your mulligan hand, yeah it's pretty bad.

Outside of that, I'm regularly running into elf-twins assaults, massive taunts, lurching corpses, neutral archers, vampiric drains and the like. It's quite possible I have no idea how to play this kind of deck since I seem to just run out of cards all the time with nothing left alive on board.

Well the deck obviously struggles vs control matchups which to an extent sounds like what you are up against. But even then you generally try to chain together synergies to get ahead of your opponent and control the board.

Edit : Well heading back to the older version as Luminous mage is absolutely critical vs the neutral decks as otherwise you can't deal with their many value bursts.

Edited by Imperial Dane