Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midgardsormr

Help on Storm Haven

13 posts in this topic

Yesterday I had the crazy idea of spending some spare rupies on 3 DE packs. I got 2 Garuda in 2 packs, and I told myself that it was an omen. :)  So I went on and built my first Storm Haven deck, since they said it's not that bad in the current meta.

Only that... I have been crushed pretty much every game. xD

Probably I'm playing the deck the wrong way.

 

In particular, I need to understand when you'd better play a follower instead of a countdown amulet, and if I need to SMOrc from the beginning or if I should play the deck as midrange (thus trading favourably when possible) or tempo.

I'm pretty sure that against aggro decks (Shadow, Blood), you need to play followers over amulets, in order to maintain board control. But in all the other cases?

 

Examples:

Turn 2 against Dragon, I'm going first, nothing on the board. Which is better, Luxwing Reno or Beastcall Aria?

Turn 3 against Sword, again I'm going first, he has a vanilla 2/2 (let's say an unenhanced Gelt) and I have Reno on the board. Should I trade or SMOrc? And given that I have Prism Priestess and Divine Birdsong, which is the better play?

 

Thanks in advance for your help. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it said aggro , ofc you go face when against sword , but maybe they just gonna wholesoul swing so you need to know your opponent playing aggro or midrange or control,  and against dragon its better to use aria 1st because you know salamender breath and at turn 5  its hard for dragon to recovee i think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice. :) 

This is the very first time for me playing Storm Haven.

 

I noticed that Dragon matchups are especially tough. Don't know if it's because Storm Haven is simply unfavored or I'm playing crap. :P 

Aggro Shadow seem to be pretty difficult as well, especially if I go second.

 

So, is this really a viable deck for this meta? o.O

 

I mean, even a winrate around 45% could be OK for me. This is not my main deck anyway. But at the moment I'm stuck at something less than 40% in unranked after 20-25 games... yea, I faced a lot of netdecks tbh (always happens on saturday around this time of the day), but still...

I thought Storm Haven was just a little below 50% winrate. So I am probably making some mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think that the first unavoidable step is getting aware of the tempo swing potential of this deck: best case scenario imo (against anything) is turn 1 pinion> t2 aria> t3 dogma on your aria;
That's almost impossible to recover from, based on my exp.


This kind of swing is always offensive and is pretty much what u wanna do every game, sooner or later, because ur stuff isn't as sticky as Luna's nor powercreeped as Erika's: resulting in the need of setting up a sort of combo turn to force oppo on the defensive side (pretty much like the old evolved Levi apocalypse on t4 to recover board) except u wanna smorc like there's no tomorrow during your swing turn. I won't suggest playing a t2 aria if u aren't sure u can combo it with something on t5, or make it pop sooner, because u can also play it on t5 and set a t6 garuda (for example) and gain much more value from it.


Against control u wanna do the same thing, but being it already on the def side, u simply wanna make oppo believe you're gonna pop ur amulets on a given turn, to then anticipate that with dogmas and force them to remove from a bad spot: this way u can keep tempo advantage and again force them to choose between removal and warding up.


So ur games need to focus on setting up this favorable situation, even sacrificing tempo for a turn imo; this is what turns out to be the thoughest choices with this deck, because sometimes seems crazy to play a birdsong on t3 vs shaggro, but u wanna do that if u know on t5 u can ancient lion and smorc for 5+, also filling your board with 2+ big threats> so in this case u'll spend your t4 on stalling board to be sure u get your advantage on the turn u want to.


What I mean is your mindset needs to be a bit roach-ish and combo-oriented with this deck, because when u pull an amulet combo, very often u are also able to close the game the following turn, consequenty forcing the oppo to trade if u minded keeping out of lethal range: consider also ur turns 6-7 are almost Eachtar-level, due to Garuda and Moon pressure (and those doesn't rely on u having a board to be buffed).

 

Tl;dr: in every match-up u need to decide the best moment to pull out one of your smorc combos, and set the game around that: so with this deck I think is often right to trade/stall a bit, but u always need to set ur strategy in the first couple turns, figuring out the turn when you'll be able to slap face hard > gain/maximize leadership, otherwise pretty much everything can outvalue you.

 

Edited by _planetwalk3r_
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, _planetwalk3r_ said:

--snip--

Thank you for your post, very informative.

All you have said is exactly how I did NOT play, up to now. :P

This explains my low winrate, and also some wins I believed they came out of nowhere... instead, they happened thanks to those "swing turns". Only, I didn't realize I was setting those up. :ph34r:

 

Well, now at least I know how to pilot that damn deck. I built it just to have an alternative to Aegis, I thought it was easy like a common aggro or midrange.

Hell, it's almost as difficult as Wolf Bolt. :S

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Glad this helped. :)

Eris is waifu and I felt in duty to defend her reputation (and her sadly average winrates too)!

 

1 hour ago, midgardsormr said:

Only, I didn't realize I was setting those up. :ph34r:

 

Also, I admit i lol'd, thanks for that xD

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2017 at 4:41 AM, midgardsormr said:

(...)

In particular, I need to understand when you'd better play a follower instead of a countdown amulet, and if I need to SMOrc from the beginning or if I should play the deck as midrange (thus trading favourably when possible) or tempo.

I'm pretty sure that against aggro decks (Shadow, Blood), you need to play followers over amulets, in order to maintain board control. But in all the other cases?

Examples:

Turn 2 against Dragon, I'm going first, nothing on the board. Which is better, Luxwing Reno or Beastcall Aria?

Turn 3 against Sword, again I'm going first, he has a vanilla 2/2 (let's say an unenhanced Gelt) and I have Reno on the board. Should I trade or SMOrc? And given that I have Prism Priestess and Divine Birdsong, which is the better play?

Thanks in advance for your help. :) 

Planetwalker's advice seems solid and he covers mostly everything, so I dont have much to add.

I don't recommend including Prism Priestess in your deck tho, she's simply too slow.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Huck Fearthstone said:

I don't recommend including Prism Priestess in your deck tho, she's simply too slow.

 I completely agree, they're really sad for tempo (the only tempo u want to lose here is the one when playing amulets, bc u can gain that back after) plus u got enough draw from pleas and dogmas imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for the suggestion, both of you. :) 

Yea, I learned on my skin that Priestess is not exactly a good follower in this deck. Moreover, I already have quite some 3pp drops, so she's really not needed.

I might include a copy of Valhallan General, maybe. Or Dark Jeanne... if I manage to pull one from the packs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, midgardsormr said:

Thanks again for the suggestion, both of you. :) 

Yea, I learned on my skin that Priestess is not exactly a good follower in this deck. Moreover, I already have quite some 3pp drops, so she's really not needed.

I might include a copy of Valhallan General, maybe. Or Dark Jeanne... if I manage to pull one from the packs.

Tried Valhallan. I prefer Al Mi'raj over him, as she is faster (offensively) than him, and she is never a dead draw where Valhallan is completely useless in an empty board. If you are looking for sneaking in 3 damage, Valhallan is a bad choice, because you must either have a freshly spawned Holy Falcon or a surviving follower on T6+. If you're looking for more burst damage, Garuda, Moon Al Mi'Raj and Demonic Strike are all better candidates.

Still, Valhallan sometimes have an edge over Moon. He packs in more stats than Moon. Valhallan on a Temple Enforcer or other wards is soul-crushing. With an evo point, you can also do a 2-for-1 trade (freshly spawned Holyflame Tiger + Valhallan General evolved, so you can trade off 2 units in 1 turn). If you often find yourself having decent amount of surviving followers on T6+, and your opponent doesn't run many hard removals (Dance of Death, Lightning Ball.etc), Valhallan could be a nice choice.

Haven't tried Dark Jeanne, but her ability seems pretty horrible to me. Dealing 2 damage to my own minions and giving opponent followers +2 attack sounds like a huge setback, making her way too situational. She might actually be good tho, especially against Shadow. The setback may also be not so much a problem if you wipe your opponent's whole board, but I don't have her in my collection, and would not want to craft her only to find that I've wasted my vials.

Edited by Huck Fearthstone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Huck Fearthstone said:

Tried Valhallan. I prefer Al Mi'raj over him, as she is faster (offensively) than him, and she is never a dead draw where Valhallan is completely useless in an empty board. If you are looking for sneaking in 3 damage, Valhallan is a bad choice, because you must either have a freshly spawned Holy Falcon or a surviving follower on T6+. If you're looking for more burst damage, Garuda, Moon Al Mi'Raj and Demonic Strike are all better candidates.

Still, Valhallan sometimes have an edge over Moon. He packs in more stats than Moon. Valhallan on a Temple Enforcer or other wards is soul-crushing. With an evo point, you can also do a 2-for-1 trade (freshly spawned Holyflame Tiger + Valhallan General evolved, so you can trade off 2 units in 1 turn). If you often find yourself having decent amount of surviving followers on T6+, and your opponent doesn't run many hard removals (Dance of Death, Lightning Ball.etc), Valhallan could be a nice choice.

Haven't tried Dark Jeanne, but her ability seems pretty horrible to me. Dealing 2 damage to my own minions and giving opponent followers +2 attack sounds like a huge setback, making her way too situational. She might actually be good tho, especially against Shadow. The setback may also be not so much a problem if you wipe your opponent's whole board, but I don't have her in my collection, and would not want to craft her only to find that I've wasted my vials.

Yes, I wouldn't craft Jeanne either. But if it happens that I pull one, I could include her just to see how she works.

I have only 1x Valhallan, I included him to try. And yes, he has been definitely a dead draw many times, so I will probably remove him and go back to my 3x Garuda 2x Moon list (I don't think I need the 3rd one, right?).

I also have 2x Tribunals in my list, but I don't know if I should keep them or replace them with DoD. They are nice with Garuda and Dogma, but if I need to use them like that I'm probably already behind. And DoD helps pushing damage. On the other side, DoD costs 1pp more and it's anti-tempo, while Tribunal is a good t4 play going first, usually. I don't know... o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, midgardsormr said:

Yes, I wouldn't craft Jeanne either. But if it happens that I pull one, I could include her just to see how she works.

I have only 1x Valhallan, I included him to try. And yes, he has been definitely a dead draw many times, so I will probably remove him and go back to my 3x Garuda 2x Moon list (I don't think I need the 3rd one, right?).

I also have 2x Tribunals in my list, but I don't know if I should keep them or replace them with DoD. They are nice with Garuda and Dogma, but if I need to use them like that I'm probably already behind. And DoD helps pushing damage. On the other side, DoD costs 1pp more and it's anti-tempo, while Tribunal is a good t4 play going first, usually. I don't know... o.O

On paper, Earthshock Ogre seems pretty good in Storm Haven. You deal 6 damage to face + a 6/6 rush body for 8pp and 1 EP. I put 1 of him in my deck, and he is often too slow for me, but you can try him as well. Maybe your deck could drag the game slow enough to make Earthshock Ogre shine.

I'm unsure about the amount of Garudas and Moon. I run 2 Moon and 3 Garudas also, 2 Moon because of Budget issues, and 3 Garudas because I simply like his art. 2 Moon feels like the right scale for me, and I'd even consider cutting 1 Garuda to fit in other cards. Moon is too versatile to not run her in a Storm Haven deck.

The best thing about DoD is its consistency. You can rely on DoD to get through a ward to deal that final blow, while with Tribunal you better hope it doesn't hit the 1/1 skeleton. DoD is bad against aggro decks like Shadow, but I don't see Tribunal being much better in the same situation either. I'm not sure if that 1pp will make much difference either. If you're playing Tribunal on-tempo, then sticking with Tribunal seems better; but if you're playing Tribunal for the final push, you'd be better off with DoD instead.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0