Patrickzzz

Ambush Swordcraft

16 posts in this topic

I know it will never be tier 1 but it looks like Ambush Sword got some interesting cards this set. Do you guys think it will be playable?

Shrouded%20Assassin.png?itok=_AT91jk3Vagabond%20Frog.png?itok=ozZt17_D

I think Shrouded Assassin might actually be really good, i'm not so sure about Vagabond Frog right now because we don't have much Ambush Sword support, but i think it's a good card to have once we get some more.

Posted (edited)

Shrouded will be very good as she can be a insta-kill card anytime, like a cheaper dance of death that can be triggered for free after the turn she is played.

Vagabond is absolutely amazing to me, i mean come on, free attacks repeatedly and with rogue's creed...

1 damage to face, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and face is down, only weakness are wards, which shrouded can handle, along with ruthless assassin, and the other countless control cards sword has, so i'll be playing ambush sword a lot, which makes me want to refine my deck

Edited by DividedZero

Yeah Shrouded is great, the problem i have with Vagabond is that it's a turn 3 drop and for only 1/2 you would probably want to play something stronger(Or Rogue's Creed if you have the chance) But i hope i'm wrong since i really want Ambush Sword to be good.

Don't forget Captain Walfrit for 12 damage kunoichi + ward and can kill a monster on field with evo.

Vagabond is probably the one that is the best since you can buff it and attack with it, and it will ambush itself again. Shrouded assassin is rather a one time thing.

9 hours ago, Imperial Dane said:

Vagabond is probably the one that is the best since you can buff it and attack with it, and it will ambush itself again. Shrouded assassin is rather a one time thing.

The thing with Shrouded assassin is that she have a  perfect timing between Rogue Creed  and Cyclone blade. So if you clean the board with her the opponent have no choice to sacrifice a big card to kill or a spell that hit  6 damage.

You will not always have this combo so I see Monika,cloudhall  behing a thing in ambush deck. if you played the frog and assassin before it a 4 damage effect.

1 hour ago, Hagator said:

The thing with Shrouded assassin is that she have a  perfect timing between Rogue Creed  and Cyclone blade. So if you clean the board with her the opponent have no choice to sacrifice a big card to kill or a spell that hit  6 damage.

You will not always have this combo so I see Monika,cloudhall  behing a thing in ambush deck. if you played the frog and assassin before it a 4 damage effect.

Running Monika in this type of deck for a guaranteed bonus to her evolve effect sounds like an interesting idea, and it might be good to put in one or two extra cards that help out when you can't get Rogue's Creed onto the field early enough. Would it make you consider Assassin or Shadowed Assassin for the deck to ambush these followers? Or is it too greedy to try and consider that?

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Aru're said:

Running Monika in this type of deck for a guaranteed bonus to her evolve effect sounds like an interesting idea, and it might be good to put in one or two extra cards that help out when you can't get Rogue's Creed onto the field early enough. Would it make you consider Assassin or Shadowed Assassin for the deck to ambush these followers? Or is it too greedy to try and consider that?

I think they are too greedy we need meats/ward  on the board or Aggro decks gonna destroy you before you can even use Cyclone Blade.

It depends on the meta really.

Edited by Hagator

Posted (edited)

+ there this card : Arriet, Soothing Harpix.

She suit perfectly for ambushed boosted cards.

A late swift inflitator could become easily a tour 7 better version of albert.

Edited by Hagator

As I understand it, to get the Rogue's Creed boost to Hobo Frog you need to have the Hobo Frog activate before the Rogue's Creed. That means you have to play the Frog, then play the Rogue's Creed. Otherwise the end of turn activations go Creed then Frog and the Frog doesn't get the bonus.

This means that your Frog attacks for 1 point on Turn 4 and becomes a 2/3 at the end of turn 4 if you play everything on curve. But it also means that once you have your combo, any further Hobo Frogs are basically dead draws - 1/2 Hobo Frogs for 3 PP.

I think Ambush Sword with Hobo Frog has the same problem Ambush Sword has right now - it takes too long to set up your sweet combos, and it's too easy for your combos to fail to activate even when you have all the pieces because Rogue's Creed has really awkward timing. Only now you don't just have to worry about the fact that an Ambush follower who evolves and attacks will lose Ambush before Creed triggers, you also have to worry about the fact that Hobo Frogs played after the Creed will gain Ambush after it's too late for their bonus to trigger.

Rogue's Creed is just a lot worse than Royal Banner. The deck building constraints are way too harsh and even when built properly the combo has way too many caveats. And Banner Sword isn't even all that great a deck.

16 hours ago, FrankTrollman said:

As I understand it, to get the Rogue's Creed boost to Hobo Frog you need to have the Hobo Frog activate before the Rogue's Creed. That means you have to play the Frog, then play the Rogue's Creed. Otherwise the end of turn activations go Creed then Frog and the Frog doesn't get the bonus.

This means that your Frog attacks for 1 point on Turn 4 and becomes a 2/3 at the end of turn 4 if you play everything on curve. But it also means that once you have your combo, any further Hobo Frogs are basically dead draws - 1/2 Hobo Frogs for 3 PP.

I think Ambush Sword with Hobo Frog has the same problem Ambush Sword has right now - it takes too long to set up your sweet combos, and it's too easy for your combos to fail to activate even when you have all the pieces because Rogue's Creed has really awkward timing. Only now you don't just have to worry about the fact that an Ambush follower who evolves and attacks will lose Ambush before Creed triggers, you also have to worry about the fact that Hobo Frogs played after the Creed will gain Ambush after it's too late for their bonus to trigger.

Rogue's Creed is just a lot worse than Royal Banner. The deck building constraints are way too harsh and even when built properly the combo has way too many caveats. And Banner Sword isn't even all that great a deck.

I think what you'd do is you only attack with any Vagabond Frogs that get played after the Rogue's Creed if you absolutely need to attack with it. You can ambush it one turn, and then the following turn you can start getting boosts from Rogue's Creed as if it was any other ambush follower.

idk about pure ambush sword in general

but from my experience, sword ambush is pretty viable as tech in a storm/banner deck (3x kunoichi trainee, 3x swift inferelator and some copy of tsubaki)

also the pure frog deck is pretty fun too (i admit it's a meme but if you draw him early and your opponent don't have aoe by turn 6 you're pretty much won, 3x albert also help a lot)

in both case i find rogue's creed is too slow and costly (banner and front line/well of destiny are much better)

I've tried the froggy deck and I've got to say😈😈

good stuff good stuff

Yea Rogue creed is still bad sadly. But I think if we work with front line ambush can still be a thing.

It seems most vagabond frog decks don't run many ambush cards, or even rogue creed, just a lot of well of destiny and some removals for wards.  It seems way too much of a one trick pony, I wonder how a full ambush deck with shrouded assassins, frogs added to koga and rogue creeds would do.  One of the things is it seems like the tempo loss from playing 3 cost amulets is too devastating.  Elena dead, Blood moon has seemingly disappeared.  There is so much pressure every turn that tempo losses can rarely be afforded.  

Frog is amazing. Pop him on the board and evo to kill something then buff him with commanders and keep hitting the face. You don't even need him in an ambush deck. Just use him for  the awesome chip damage in mid sword. Or for tempo in aggro sword.