ChorusAthena

New cards from Tempest you absolutely want

19 posts in this topic

Scrolling through the new cards make me very excited to build new decks.  But what cards must you absolutely have to satisfy that newfound motivation?  I really want support cannon.

Elf Butler Vist.

Just a silver card, nothing grandeur 

I just like it 

Hmm. I definately want Hector for shadowcraft along with the Deadmoon disciple, Dolorblade and Orthrus also look pretty interesting.

For runecraft the Hulking giant definitely.

Dark Airjammer for Bloodcraft.

In the swordcraft department Captain Lecia for sure, maybe Captain Walfrid and Tristan. Gotta see more swordcraft cards though before i can make any further judgement.

For Swordcraft I think the most impactful card is going to be the Luminous Mage. Swordcraft plus "Freevolve" is stone cold nuts. But it does work in the Commander deck, we'll see if that is good.

Support Cannon is best thought of as a follower without Ward or Rush that you play for battlefield presence. That is, it's not going to attack the turn it comes into play and it's going to attack enemy followers as long as there are any. Now the neat thing is that Support Cannon doesn't get removed when it fights - so you can think of it as a follower with a really high defense. So the question is: how hard does such a follower need to hit in order to be good? Would you play a 3/10 Vanilla follower for 5 PP? Probably not. Would you play a 4/10 Vanilla Follower for 5 PP? Probably. Would you play a 5/10 Vanilla Follower for 5 PP? Absolutely.

So if you can maintain an average of 4+ attack worth of Commanders played every turn after you play the Support Cannon, it's a good card. If you can maintain an average of 5+ attack worth of Commanders, it's very very good. That's more difficult than it sounds - remember that even though Albert on 9 domes your opponent for 10 damage, his printed power is only 3 and that's under the curve. But if the turn after you drop the Cannon you play a Gemstaff Commander and a White Paladin your cannon is absolutely insane.

2 hours ago, FrankTrollman said:

For Swordcraft I think the most impactful card is going to be the Luminous Mage. Swordcraft plus "Freevolve" is stone cold nuts. But it does work in the Commander deck, we'll see if that is good.

Support Cannon is best thought of as a follower without Ward or Rush that you play for battlefield presence. That is, it's not going to attack the turn it comes into play and it's going to attack enemy followers as long as there are any. Now the neat thing is that Support Cannon doesn't get removed when it fights - so you can think of it as a follower with a really high defense. So the question is: how hard does such a follower need to hit in order to be good? Would you play a 3/10 Vanilla follower for 5 PP? Probably not. Would you play a 4/10 Vanilla Follower for 5 PP? Probably. Would you play a 5/10 Vanilla Follower for 5 PP? Absolutely.

So if you can maintain an average of 4+ attack worth of Commanders played every turn after you play the Support Cannon, it's a good card. If you can maintain an average of 5+ attack worth of Commanders, it's very very good. That's more difficult than it sounds - remember that even though Albert on 9 domes your opponent for 10 damage, his printed power is only 3 and that's under the curve. But if the turn after you drop the Cannon you play a Gemstaff Commander and a White Paladin your cannon is absolutely insane.

Im not sure how big a fan i am of Luminous, since she has the same trait and cost as Aurelia and Albert, so it will be hard to fit her into decks <-<~~

Israfil ..... absolutely i want her as my new emblem , but dunno will i switch her with my bellringer one 

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that Aurelia is going to be quite bad in the Commander deck because her base attack is only 2, which makes her a well below-curve Support Cannon enabler. If it turns out she gets her bonus before Support Cannon fires, then she's obviously pretty great. But I don't think she will. Luminous Mage of course also has a base attack of 2 before she freevolves, and freevolution does not increase Cannon damage. But the Luminous Mage also pulls in a Luminous Knight, so the Cannon fires twice for 2, which is more than decent for turn 6 or 7.

Also key information would be finding out if Tsubaki kills a fool before she fires the Support Cannon. She is obviously much much better if she does. But she earns a place in the Commander deck easily and obviously regardless.

At least 1 for the emblem i guess

I want blood moon and both blood legendarys for midrange-blood.

Hulking Giant because 6pp 20/20 Memes. 

Kel for the new OTK Haven, because why not?

Aegis to find out how he works.

The Waterdradon legendary because it's a great card for Ramp Dragon.

I am happy if a get half of them.

Sibyl/priestess, roland and all the ER stuffs.

Posted (edited)

Bloodmoon. I personally don't like the card. It is against the spirit of Bloodcraft, but I like the effect. With it, it is very easy to set the field for Maelstrom Serpent at turn six. And there are very few decks that can survive 4 5/5 at turn six.

Edited by Yxanthymir2

Well i can probably add that.. Prince Catacomb ? (What a terrible name) To the wishlist, great for shadowcraft.

2 hours ago, Yxanthymir2 said:

Bloodmoon. I personally don't like the card. It is against the spirit of Bloodcraft, but I like the effect. With it, it is very easy to set the field for Maelstrom Serpent at turn six. And there are very few decks that can survive 4 5/5 at turn six.

thats too sitiuational tho and to rely on 2 specific cards that you HAVE to draw till turn 6 to win a game is too inconsistent, bloodmoon is ok for midrange but i dont see it replacing Dire Bond in control.

The blood moon cause all the exciting deck building options it provides.

The ship's cannon cause of all the exciting deck building options it provides.

Junglebert and Roland just so I can keep up with the Jones.

On 21/03/2017 at 6:52 PM, Envy said:

thats too sitiuational tho and to rely on 2 specific cards that you HAVE to draw till turn 6 to win a game is too inconsistent, bloodmoon is ok for midrange but i dont see it replacing Dire Bond in control.

It doesn't need to depend only on that. Bloodmoon opens a lot of possibilities, but when you get that start it will be explosive.

On 21-3-2017 at 10:52 PM, Envy said:

I have been hoping (and have been dumping) to replace Dire Bond entirely because outside of turn 3, it is an utterly poor card to play unless you need some wacky vengeance drifting plays that happen once every 20 games. You don't need the Dire Bond card draw if you have Blood Moon, into Baphomet, into Maelstrom Serpent. I'm willing to vow that this is like a weaker Daria esque deck, but with more stand alone cards to help you through the game if you're struggling to draw your cards in the right sequencing. 

As for card wishes... Gosh, so many. I'd definitely play the various bloodcraft decks that we can make now, though Control Forest is high on the wishlist. And that's possibly the majority of the cards released for Forestcraft. I'd also like to have Grimnir for the Dragon Pendant memes.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:52 PM, Envy said:

You can tutor Blood Moon with Uriel, Baphomet with Goblin Mage, and then Maelstrom Serpent is your only 5+ attack follower that gets tutored by Baphomet. That seems pretty consistent if you look for turn 7, and there really aren't any big board clears that can deal with a Maelstrom Serpent board on turn 7 that don't already come on turn 6. If you don't run Uriel to tutor Blood Moon or you really want your Dire Bond, you can also run Belphegor or (although this isn't recommended) Soul Dealer to instantly put yourself into vengeance for roughly the same effect.

That said, I don't think turn 6 Maelstrom serpent as a win condition for Control Blood because Temptress Vampire is so strong and you may want Ice Blade Warfiend for some mid-late game card draw. I think you'd instead run it in a vengeance-based midrange list, where Temptress Vampire would probably be too slow, Ice Blade Warfiend wouldn't be necessary with the presence of Belphegor, and most other Vengeance effects wouldn't get tutored.

For control, Dire Bond is better. No doubt about that. Maybe it is better too for an aggressive deck that needs massive card draw. Outside of that situations, Bloodmoon will be better.