Sign in to follow this  
Void

Discard aggro

5 posts in this topic

Discard Dragon is pretty bad. You need to have discardable cards, and cards that trigger discards, and cards that give you advantage for discarding. If you get all of those things, then Discard Dragon can do some very powerful things. One Turn Kills on turn 7 are not out of the question at all. But realistically that is a ridiculously difficult combo to come up with. Even if you could fill your entire deck with combo pieces, it would still be much more difficult to assemble than Dirt Rune, because you need three pieces instead of 1.

But it's way worse than that. First of all, you only have two Discard boosters: Wildfang Dragonewt and Dracomancer Rites. Both are very good, but with only 6 copies in your deck it's pretty easy to not draw them. They can be tutored with Uriel or Goblin Mage, but both of those are more expensive than the thing they are tutoring, and make getting your combo on time an impossibility.

The second problem is discardable cards. First of all, only two "madness" cards that take effect when discarded even exist: Luxfang Kit and Trail of Light. And let's be real here: Trail of Light is pretty bad, having no utility at all in the deck if you don't manage to discard it. Having 6 cards in the whole deck you actually want to discard is nowhere near enough, as it means that your chance of seeing none of them by turn 4 is way too high (29%!). But it's actually way worse than that, because you don't get to choose what cards you discard - it just randomly grabs cards from the lowest cost group. The Madness cards are both cost 2, but you need to be running Altered Fate as a discard card and Wildfang Dragonewt as a Discard Enhancer. Both of those cards also cost 2, which means that every time you discard you're running the risk of losing important combo pieces instead of your discard fodder.

Discard Dragon is a trainwreck. It's a fragile combo deck where critical mass of combo pieces doesn't exist and brutal anti-synergy is baked into the pie because the discard mechanic itself randomly blows up combo pieces at the worst times.

If you want to play aggro dragon, that is a reasonable life goal. The Discard subspecialty is a trap.

i play my discard dragon in ranked for the lulz. its not stable, but when you can pull the combo it feels_so_good.mp3
by the way, i play it with wildfang dragonnewt + altered fate. maybe 1 out of 7 match i can pull an otk. 2/3 dragonnewt and 2 times altered fate. but it's really rare, and even sometimes i have 2/3 altered fate in my hands, which means 99% lose.
most of the times it's a finisher after my 4th waifu the unbreakable black wings do some 5-7 face damage.

the funny thing is i have more positive winrate with discard dragon than my normal dragon deck. but its not a good deck to climb the ladder, at least it's not work for me. but i still play it because i like it.

20170318011842_1.jpg

20170318004557_1.jpg

Edited by Tomoebi

Aside from dragonewt otk, discard dragon is still garbage. silly dev keeps adding how to discard instead of when discard effect

On 3/18/2017 at 8:34 AM, Kyubey said:

Aside from dragonewt otk, discard dragon is still garbage. silly dev keeps adding how to discard instead of when discard effect

ya, only trail of light and luxfang has discard effect. and the effect is kinda crap. they should make luxfang a 3/4 point follower with storm because as we know that he was born ready.