Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yue

Midrange Shadow

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I know it's a bit of a strange time to be testing new decks with the new expansion around the corner, but lately I've been messing around with Midrange Shadow, and have had some success with it on ladder. I always thought that Aggro Shadow could be pretty strong, but my least favorite way of losing is running out of gas. This deck will usually not run out of gas due to Carrots galore and overall more late game, and it also features the 3x Phantom Howl 3x Cerberus combo that is so degenerate potent.

I'm considering replacing 2x Mordecai, since they haven't helped much so far due in this fast-paced meta. Attendant of Night combined with Urd is pretty difficult for most decks to deal with, and Urd also knocks out evolved Albert by herself. If you are bored of playing the same decks, you could give this archetype a try. Let me know if you have any thoughts on what should be changed, I am still trying to figure out the best way to build this deck.

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck/1.5.63E_G.63FiQ.63FiQ.65BUS.65BUS.65BUS.5_QqY.5_QqY.6736Y.6736Y.6Avi6.6Avi6.5_RZQ.61KvW.68_dm.68_dm.68_dm.6AtGA.6AtGA.63Kb4.63Kb4.63Kb4.61PnY.61PnY.6Avhy.63Kaw.63Kaw.63Kaw.61NLm.63MII.63MII.63MII.63KbE.63KbE.63KbE.67ARI.67ARI.6AviG.63Jsg.63Jsg

Edited by Yue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of "fun ofs" in that list. While I get that a midrange deck often wants just a few copies of its higher cost cards, I don't see the utility of a singleton Skull Beast or a single copy of Dark Conjurer. If you aren't doing Nephthys and you are doing Mordecai, seems like Ceridwen could be big game for you. Like an Urd with good stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mordecai already feels too slow in my play-testing, and that makes me skeptical about Ceridwen.

The purpose of Skull Beast is

1) Do chip damage, which is crucial for an aggressive deck like this one.
2) Trade with 1 defense followers (Fairies, Bats, certain Sword followers, etc).
3) Get more shadows for Foul Tempest, Death's Breath, Phantom Howl.

The purpose of Dark Conjurer is

1) 2/2 body is essential on turn 2 for aggressive decks, and with carrots it's easy to play two 2PP followers on turn 4.
2) 1 free damage when you have an evolved follower can be very efficient for trading, or doing more chip damage. In many cases it has enabled me to make very efficient trades, making a large impact on the game. Conjurer is generally better than Lyrial in this deck because you often want to evolve a follower that can attack face for maximum damage efficiency. Also, carrots are a good evolve targets since they return to your hand when they die.

I run 1-ofs is when I feel a card is good, but not crucial and I usually don't want to draw 2 or 3 in the same game. For example, if I draw a lot of Skull Beast then it can cripple my hand for the mid/late game.

I am considering adding more Dark Conjurer since its performance has been quite good in the cases where I've played it. I'm also considering Dance of Death.

Edited by Yue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, you swap lord of fly for nepnep and boom you are control now. xD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zzMedVeDzz said:

Dude, you swap lord of fly for nepnep and boom you are control now. xD

Nephthys wouldn't be good for this deck since it's 1234578, and most of the followers don't have good Last Word effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played midrange shadow only during first week of RoB just a few thoughts, maybe I am wrong with some of them.

1) 1 Skullbeast: A single 1 drop usually screws up the top decks most of the time, how often do you draw him t1?

Even if you draw him t1 he is likely getting killed for free against some Decks.

2) Morde wincon and Phowl wincon don't like each other, maybe you are right and Morde is unnecessary.

3) Are 3 Foul Tempest necessary? It's a dead card in a lot of matchups or if you don't get enough Shadows. 

4) Cards to add:

Feathered Patroller is great against aggro (especially sword).

Many 3 drops are 2/3,  Khaiza is a 2/2 more Pings (Lyriel/Dark Conjurer) could also help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kharaxx said:

I have played midrange shadow only during first week of RoB just a few thoughts, maybe I am wrong with some of them.

1) 1 Skullbeast: A single 1 drop usually screws up the top decks most of the time, how often do you draw him t1?

Even if you draw him t1 he is likely getting killed for free against some Decks.

2) Morde wincon and Phowl wincon don't like each other, maybe you are right and Morde is unnecessary.

3) Are 3 Foul Tempest necessary? It's a dead card in a lot of matchups or if you don't get enough Shadows. 

4) Cards to add:

Feathered Patroller is great against aggro (especially sword).

Many 3 drops are 2/3,  Khaiza is a 2/2 more Pings (Lyriel/Dark Conjurer) could also help.

1) It's not that often I draw it by turn 1, but when I do it's usually pretty helpful. I'm not too worried about 1-of Skullbeast messing up my draw, since Carrots will often let me used my PP efficiently. Even when it gets killed for "free" it usually means that I get to attack face with my 2/2 against slow decks or against fast decks I gain 2 defense, which isn't that bad anyway, especially since many of my cards are so reliant on Shadows.

2) I am keeping an eye on Morde, and even Khawy.

3) I find that even the 1 damage AoE comes in handy in some cases, and it is often one of the crucial game-deciding cards which is why I run 3 even though it is situational. I will keep an eye on it though. The game right after I lowered the count to 2 I played a game where I wish I drew it, and I put it back to 3 l0l.

4) I will test out adding more Dark Conjurer, since it has performed well. I considered Feathered Patroller, but the 3/2 stat line I feel is not great for trading. Also I don't like how it competes with my other cards for shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2017 at 4:14 PM, Yue said:

I know it's a bit of a strange time to be testing new decks with the new expansion around the corner, but lately I've been messing around with Midrange Shadow, and have had some success with it on ladder. I always thought that Aggro Shadow could be pretty strong, but my least favorite way of losing is running out of gas. This deck will usually not run out of gas due to Carrots galore and overall more late game, and it also features the 3x Phantom Howl 3x Cerberus combo that is so degenerate potent.

I'm considering replacing 2x Mordecai, since they haven't helped much so far due in this fast-paced meta. Attendant of Night combined with Urd is pretty difficult for most decks to deal with, and Urd also knocks out evolved Albert by herself. If you are bored of playing the same decks, you could give this archetype a try. Let me know if you have any thoughts on what should be changed, I am still trying to figure out the best way to build this deck.

shadow.png

People test strange decks when the meta nearly hits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated the list. Added Healing Angel and Goblinmount Demon, since they are pretty effective against Aggro and also have generally good stat lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your list... unfortunately I don't have any Cerb or LotF to put in.

Any possible substitutions?

I have my own personal Midrange Shadow deck, filled with last words and triggers, but I'd like to try your version instead. I use mine to do dailies, and works pretty well. But I wouldn't be able to ladder with it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, midgardsormr said:

I like your list... unfortunately I don't have any Cerb or LotF to put in.

Any possible substitutions?

I have my own personal Midrange Shadow deck, filled with last words and triggers, but I'd like to try your version instead. I use mine to do dailies, and works pretty well. But I wouldn't be able to ladder with it. :)

LotF is replaceable e.g. with Khawy, but Cerberus is pretty hard to replace, since it's one of the best cards in Shadow. You could maybe try more Goblinmount, or Dance of Death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Yue said:

LotF is replaceable e.g. with Khawy, but Cerberus is pretty hard to replace, since it's one of the best cards in Shadow. You could maybe try more Goblinmount, or Dance of Death.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shadow is unfortunately my worst class, I have no legendaries at all, but with the new expansion incoming I don't want to craft anything atm. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0