isgopet

Help With a Roach Deck

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I made something, and it's pretty awful. I had heard about Shadowcraft from looking at Bagoum, and decided "Eh, I'll give it a try." Being the tier-whore I am, I looked at Bagoum's tier list, forgot to check the date, and began crafting the needed cards for the then-best archetype, Miracle Roach Forest, which appealed to both my inner Spike and my inner Johnny. After crafting the core cards (except for Ancient Elf, because just one of those costs more than the rest of my deck), I began to look for VODs of streamers playing the archetype in order to both gain an understanding of core game and how to pilot what seemed like a very broken deck. While looking for VODs I found out that Goblin Mage had been nerfed. I sighed and decided that I might as well try it out. I removed all non-roach followers that costed less than three PP and tossed in some spells to hopefully keep the board clear while I set up my combo. It's been working okay, but it REALLY struggles against Aggro Blood, which is all the rage down in the beginner ladder. Are there some cards I can toss in to shore up that matchup, or is it a lost cause? In general, what should I be doing to make this list better?  Is Roach still a valid archetype, or should I just go to Aggro Blood? 

deckForestcraft.png

Edited by isgopet

Is that Isgopet of Duelyst forums fame?

I play Roach too and the deck is doing well going by the tier list, but I've only been playing in C-rank myself (so take this advice with a pinch of salt obviously!) but I do have 3 ancient elves in my deck. Blood is now one of the tougher match-ups.

Although the Roach combo is what the deck is famous for, ancient elf is Core to how the deck functions, so it depends whether you want to stick with Forest or just play what is competitive. Bearing in mind a new expansion is coming out soon so you may want to hold-off any major crafting commitments and just sit on your vials/rupees until then and just play aggro blood in the meantime, which is probably the cheapest full deck in SV.

Despite the nerf to Gobo and no AE, I still think Elf child May could be worth a shot, I'd also try angelic snipe too. Depending on how dead you usually are by 5pp, Fairy Steward can wall their finishers like Imp Lancer or Alucard.

Yep, that's me, I had no idea I was famed. I think I'll end up following your advice and holding off on crafting the Elves and just see what the expansion brings. Maybe there'll be a cheaper alternative, a new archetype, or something I haven't even thought of. Thanks for the help and for the recognition.

@isgopet you're losing to Aggro Blood primarily because of having no Ancient Elfs. AE is a must, as she is strong in offense and defense, while also enabling a lot of comboes.

11 hours ago, Huck Fearthstone said:

@isgopet you're losing to Aggro Blood primarily because of having no Ancient Elfs. AE is a must, as she is strong in offense and defense, while also enabling a lot of comboes.

Just wondering~ What would be a good replacement for AE, as it is a legendary?

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately it doesnt have a direct substitute. I dont have a single copy of it yet. So what I do use is Elf Knight Cynthia.

The deck still uses the roach combo, but instead of using it like a combo deck. You play it as aggro, keeping your hand full (with many fairies generators) to unleash roach to finish the game.

Edited by Yxanthymir2

1 hour ago, Yxanthymir2 said:

Unfortunately it doesnt have a direct substitute. I dont have a single copy of it yet. So what I do use is Elf Knight Cynthia.

The deck still uses the roach combo, but instead of using it like a combo deck. You play it as aggro, keeping your hand full (with many fairies generators) to unleash roach to finish the game.

Yeah, I thought something like that could be decent. Imma try it when I get a few new cards.