Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imperial Dane

Tristan. Knight of the Round Table.

10 posts in this topic

So a quick summary for those not awares of Tristan, he was revealed for swordcraft with Tempest of the Gods, a 5pp 3/4 with the ability to gain last word, summon Tristan if a commander follower is in play.

Note that last bit, commander follower, not just commander. Meaning you can't just stick him in a banner deck. You actually have to build a deck around the commander/officer synergy to be able to play him decently. Which i think is pretty great, it's about time we get some cards that work with the mechanics of swordcraft rather than just cards that scream value. Should also help the people who are getting tired of facing swordcraft so much in Arena.

And Tristan himself is an interesting card in that he can offer a lot of value and a way to survive board clears in theory. He will probably see usage in midrange decks since he is too slow for aggro, as for control. Maybe ? 

But overall, an interesting card and i think a promising start to sworcraft in Tempest of the gods.

He is a very interesting card.

Bad without commander, awesome with commander.

The 5 slot is a little bit unlucky for him for 2 reasons: It's during Evos and Sword has other strong 5 drops.

On t7 Front guard General is as good as 2pp commander + Tristan, so you have to play him t5.

It's hard to say how consistent sword can keep a commander alive t5/how big the sacrifice is to keep a commander alive.

A 5pp 6/8 is definitely worth trying, but I wouldn't be surprised if the condition is to hard to make him work.

Control sword already has a bunch a 5-cost cards and Tristan doesn't really add much to the deck. He doesn't have ward, his effect doesn't immediately affect the board, and requires a commander follower. Good players know that you shouldn't let sword have any followers. The odds of a commander staying alive for your turn 5 tristan aren't high. 

Too much effort for not a great benefit.

Maybe we get a nice ambush commander t4.

Btw how reliant is the translation?

Is it 100% sure that banner doesn't work?

Well the translation could be wrong. We'll have to wait for the official one. So could swing either way. And yeah, he might not see so much with control. Though in theory if you were willing, you could use naval lieutenant to make him a ward. But then he'd probably fit into a midrange deck that tries to play off Officer/Commander mechanics anyways.

And depending on the deck, if your commander survives into t4, you could then shadowed assassin it setting up for turn 5 and Tristan. Hell you could theoretically play a royal fencer along with an assassin on turn 4 if you wanted to.

So i do think he has merit. But we'll have to see more cards. I mean if they throw in a few more cards that work off the Commander/Officer synergy.. I think he could be pretty good.

Even if it worked with Banner you would not want to run this in a banner deck.  It's a value card at a point where you want to be trying to just end the game.

It's not reliable to have a commander on the field turn 5.  ESPECIALLY GOING FIRST.  The entire game for midrange decks revolves around clearing the opponent's board every turn, especially if it's a swordcraft commander.  The only way you are going to have a commander already on the field turn 5 is if you are winning by so much that you've probably just ran away with the game anyways.  This mechanic as a whole on more expensive cards is becoming as cringy as the vengeance mechanic on things like Squall Lancer.

Posted (edited)

Right. From the official twitter : 

It says just commander. Meaning he can be procced with Royal Banner. Which just increased the value of Royal banner decks i think, though more in a midrange direction.

Also. It seems like Tristan is a commander himself. So you could in theory, if you are not playing a banner deck. Use Tristan, to trigger Tristan as well.

Edited by Imperial Dane

That makes it much better actually.  It's meant for banner sword, and if Tristan was a commander you couldn't reliably pull your Royal Banners which the whole deck is based around.  In Banner sword is a crazy 4/4,  last word summon another 4/4.  Guaranteed to see play.